• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Crypt Forrest" low tech 16l nano

Regarding growth rates I have been really surprised at the growth in this tank. It has grown a lot more and quicker than I thought. I always got the impression that things would be painfully slow but I really dont think that is the case. It is certainly a lot more relaxing and to be honest which is why I like to keep these tanks. My hi tech tank is far from relaxing. Too much work and too highly strung. I'd like to see some of the more accomplished aquascapers show us something really stunning without the use of Co2. Perhaps a challenge. It will just take 6 months to establish tanks instead of 6 weeks.

lovely tank, just seems to be missing something on the right hand side. how about adding a small little rock just to soften the look of the big rock on the eye, and adding a little bit of moss to the overhang of the main rock.

This drawing might make it easier for you to understand.
Screenshot2011-06-01at111327.png

Just my personal opinion.

FlyingFish!

DHenry said:
UPDATE!

Not much to report other than good growth. All Crypts are filling in nicely. It's been 5 months now, I have added nothing and changed no water.

well done on setting up a great little tank :thumbup:

I'm assuming the plants have been fed only by the potting soil up to now? - as stated you've added no fauna so probably not fed fish food etc which in turn supplies the plants

Would I be right in thinking the nutrients in the potting soil may become depleted over the next couple of months at which time you may need to consider other forms of nutrition?

Would be great if you added a little shrimp colony - be a nice little home for them :)

Yes, I agree that the right side is a little barren. I setup up the rocks etc, before the plants. Once the plants went in I thought that side needed something but there's no soil over there. The top of that rock has actually started growing moss all on its own as well as the wood. I once used those bits in a tank with moss but the moss long died off. It seems to have been revived which is nice.

I did have a dwarf puffer in there for about 3 months. He only ate snails and refused any other food I put in. He eventually passed on once I ran out of snails to give him having refused every other type of food in the LFS.

I have added no ferts yet. The soil should eventually deplete but I haven't seen any signs of it yet. I will probably use TPN+ when the time comes.

I will probably move my colony of lamp eyes and cherry shrimp over from the high tech before tearing it down to build another low tech. I'm getting into this now. I want to see more peoples low tech efforts. I am really pleased this is working out so well because having gone the high tech route with pressurized co2 I have found that it doesn't quite suit my lifestyle I am too busy to give it the time it needs and It becomes a little disappointing.

No issues with diatoms. The only thing I have had to do is clean the glass once. It got a few browns spots on it after about 3 months. It hasn't really come back since cleaning either. I did get surface scum up until about 1 month ago when it disappeared one day, but all of my tanks have done that.

Lots of cherry shrimps would be great.

Regarding my next tank (60l cube). I would like to expand a little on this concept. So far Crypts seem to thrive in this type of tank. I would like to try a few more plant species. Nothing crazy. Any suggestions? I was thinking about some sort of grass. I have found that if you plant densely then you don't have to wait so long for it to fill in.

maybe a little more moss on the under side of the main rock would draw a little bit more attention from the forrest side and appear a little softer on the eye. what do you think about adding a small rock to give a better sense of scale?

Lovely idea, really like the wood coming out of the jungle. and im not even a fan of wood!!

Cherrys would be great in there, go really well with the design.
Could send you a few cuttings of eleocharis parvula if you want some.

Great work!

FlyingFish

DHenry said:
I'd like to see some of the more accomplished aquascapers show us something really stunning without the use of Co2. Perhaps a challenge. It will just take 6 months to establish tanks instead of 6 weeks.

I agree that this would be nice to see :)

Gets me thinking if there are any competitions for low tech entries only? I assume there would be some kind of need to prove that the tank has been established for specified mimimum duration to stop people planting up and taking pics - if this make sense? - all this said dont think it's feasible or possible to control :(

DHenry said:
I would like to try a few more plant species. Nothing crazy. Any suggestions? I was thinking about some sort of grass. I have found that if you plant densely then you don't have to wait so long for it to fill in.

It is my understanding that most plants can be kept healthily using low tech methods. The only problem is slow to no growth rate

a1matt will be able to tell you more :thumbup:

Back