• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CPDs Jumping

Christie_ZXR

One of my celestial pearl danios made a bid for freedom yesterday :wideyed: Scooped him up and got him back in the tank quick enough luckily.
I know a lot of people on here have CPDs, just wondered if anyone else had found them to be jumpers? I've got them in an open top tank and I'm trying to work out if this was a freak accident or if I need to get a cover.

I was eating at the time, so I reckon the little fella saw my chips and thought he'd hop out and try and steal one...!! :lol:

I accidentally knocked my hydor external heater up in my mini M got up to low 30s :eek:

300w heater on a 19 litre tank. Gulp.

Anyway unfortunately 2 jumped and I found them on the carpet later. Didn't lose any more that stayed in though.

So are all your parameters within a decent range and more importantly stable?

Regards

Yep. Did all my maintenence a few hours before it happened, so I'm happy nothing had changed in those few hours. Will double check this eve anyway though, you never know. My reckoning is they were possibly spooked. The dog had not long jumped up onto the chair next to the tank and was nosing at it just before it happened. I know they can be nervous fish, so that's all I can think of. They've never done it before though, and the dog is pretty nosey, so I'm guessing he has. Did do a head count just after and they're all still in there.

Rechecked the params just in case and everything's as expected. No spikes etc.
It's the weirdest thing! The lot of them seem fine this evening. Couldn't even say which one jumped. Mine tend to hang around in the lower half of the tank usually too. Guess it's just a freak accident. Think I'll take a chance with no cover for now, but next time I'm poking around in the tank I'll stick a magazine or something on top of it for that evening when I'm done I reckon. I suppose it might have been the combination of me rearranging the tank followed by this big wet nose up at the glass that spooked the poor little guy. :wideyed:

Thought it was a bug when I first saw this thing flopping around on the carpet!! One of my cats is trained to catch spiders for me :D so I called him in to get it! Just a good job I spotted it was a fish not a spider and shooed him away in time :lol:

Ha, maybe your move caused some minor spike. I know if I mess with my filter and my water goes a bit cloudy they don't like it too much.

I came in my room one day, and my husky had his nose almost touching an amano shrimp who just happened to be having a stroll across the carpet. He's a
Puppy so was bouncing around and crouching down to it ha. I bet that amano was like :eek:

Whitey89 said:
Its still alive today by the way :D

The shrimp or the puppy...? :lol:

Hadn't thought of that, but I suppose there could have been a spike I missed. Cheers.
At least I know it's not too common now, so I'll just have to be more careful at maintenence time.

Every time I've been looking at the tank, I've been treading carefully around it incase there's a fish on the carpet now!! Got a bit paranoid methinks...

Back