• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Couple of mixed questions

Frenchi

Hi
I'm wanting to fill in a submerged piece of wood with Java, I did put some on with superglue but some has dropped off is there a good way to attach more without removing the wood .. It would be very difficult to remove now without disturbing things too much ?

Q 2
Also is it normal to keep having to up the co2 as time passes by, I presuming it's because the plants are more actively growing, I keep checking for leaks on the co2 system but cannot find any?

This is what I'm wanting to fill in
f234f5c1f4617beaf305465c13529b32.jpg
c712d5beffdeded7f0de47cba98becf1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Frenchi ,
Get some young plants with some roots and twist some cotton thread " Black works well" Round the bottom of the roots and use a map pin to press into the DW ;)
This will keep them in place until the roots attach then remove the pin :) One more thing with ferns keep trimming the old larger leaves back to get lush new growth and now and again pull clumps off where its getting to thick And repeat the above method to keep it looking lush.

Co2 Others will know more ;)

Last edited:
Hi Frenchi ,
Get some young plants with some roots and twist some cotton thread " Black works well" Round the bottom of the roots and use a map pin to press into the DW ;)
This will keep them in place until the roots attach then remove the pin :) One more thing with ferns keep trimming the old larger leaves back to get lush new growth and now and again pull clumps off where its getting to thick And repeat the above method to keep it looking lush.

Co2 Others will know more ;)
Awesome so simple too.. Thanks very much :)

You shouldnt need to up your co2 as plants grow unless the flow gets worse. In other words, most of the CO2 that is lost from the water is due to it scaping to the atmosphere not because the plants are using it up more(they are but it doesnt have a big impact on your co2). The imput of co2 is much faster than plants can consume it. Its about the battle between co2 injection and co2 scaping to the air. The variable of co2 comsumptiom by plants is quite small compared to the rest.

I think your surface water movement might be changing from time to time thus changingyour co2 concentration.

I've used black cable ties to hold the plants to wood. Meant to cut them off once rooted. Really good as you can push the tie through the root bundle so it can't be seen at all. In fact worked so well that when I came to halve in size my fern it took a while to work out why I couldn't pull it off the wood.

Hi Mick, question 2, as plant mass increases so does demand for co2 and nutrients this is normal, trimming regularly helps keep the demand lower as will lowering the intensity of the lighting if you can, always worth checking for leaks etc to make sure the set up is sound.
Tanks looking lovely btw.
Thanks for this I have got more prominent grow than before to be honest .. I spray leak detection spray over all my co2 equipment weekly :)
You shouldnt need to up your co2 as plants grow unless the flow gets worse. In other words, most of the CO2 that is lost from the water is due to it scaping to the atmosphere not because the plants are using it up more(they are but it doesnt have a big impact on your co2). The imput of co2 is much faster than plants can consume it. Its about the battle between co2 injection and co2 scaping to the air. The variable of co2 comsumptiom by plants is quite small compared to the rest.

I think your surface water movement might be changing from time to time thus changingyour co2 concentration.

The new filter I got is 1900 litre per hour and is aimed at the surface so maybe this is the cause as you say .. It is ever since I added the filter if I'm honest but it does circulate the whole tank with no problems at all .. Would you suggest moving it slightly so it's no as aggressive on the surface?

The new filter I got is 1900 litre per hour and is aimed at the surface so maybe this is the cause as you say .. It is ever since I added the filter if I'm honest but it does circulate the whole tank with no problems at all .. Would you suggest moving it slightly so it's no as aggressive on the surface?
Nope. I cant suggest that since I dont know what it looks like. What is normally said is that you should have a very slight surface ripple to have good O2 levels and then adapt your CO2 injection to satisfy your needs. So just keep the surface water moving.
Others should explain better since I dont really use this method. I use Amanos method which is very very little surface movement. But this is more recommended for people using diffusers and CO2 misting more than dissolved CO2.

Last edited:
Nope. I cant suggest that since I dont know what it looks like. What is normally said is that you should have a very slight surface ripple to have good O2 levels and then adapt your CO2 injection to satisfy your needs.
Sounds like a plan to me thanks for your help and everyone's help too it's appreciated:)

The staple gun I have used but outside the water .. Never thought of using under the water :)

Back