• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

correct mixture ?

lil-lynx

hello I need a mixture for a DIY co2 bottle, its 1.5 litres. I know I need sugar water and yeast maybe bi carbonate of soda ?, just need to no how much to put, thanks

what i have done if,
put the yeast in a cup of warm water mostly cold

left it for 30 mins mixing it in-between

hot water for the sugar mixed it all up till no sugar was left

let the sugar cool

then added the sugar and yeast in to the bottle

it was 2 cups of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of yeast
ant a 3rd of the way up the bottle with water

im aiming for 1 bubble every 1-3 sec ?

You don't need to mix it all previous, just add the sugar, fill the bottle with luke warm water to the recommended level.

Then add the yeast and baking powder, don't shake the bottle, just leave it to it.

Difficult to estimate the bubble rate, it will vary during the day as the temperature of the room also affects the mixture.

If you don't think you have enough CO2, just buy a T piece and add another bottle, make sure you don't kill your fish though, when I used DIY solution I always had an air pump at light out, it came on just after lights went out and turned off two hours before lights on.

yep got the air pump on a timer to cum on 5 mins before the light go out and goes of 5 mins before the light come on

lil-lynx said:
yep got the air pump on a timer to cum on 5 mins before the light go out and goes of 5 mins before the light come on
Needs to go off a couple of hours before lights come one, so that when lights come on there is a high concentration of CO2 in the water.

ooo thank you :) its been set up for about 1 hour nothing yet :( going to the gym 4:30 till 7:30 i hope when i come back i will have some bubbles

lil-lynx said:
ooo thank you :) its been set up for about 1 hour nothing yet :( going to the gym 4:30 till 7:30 i hope when i come back i will have some bubbles
Well depends on the temp of the water, when I used it did take a while to start going 3-4 hours, but also depends on the type of diffuser you use, some require more pressure than others, what are you using?

im running a bare pipe about 3 inches from a little elite filter the bubble goes up in to the impeller ( taken the bottom of ie sponge) then i have attached a hose from the outlet of the filter in to the stream of my fluval u4 just to break up the bubble further and distribute it round the tank

Back