• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Coral red pencil fish

Beautiful looking fish @Conort2 - do you have to keep them in a covered tank?
Thankyou @Wookii . I use one of those jump guards as I have a rimless tank. Not too sure if they would jump, they were definitely small enough to jump through gaps in the screen of the jump guard when I got them however I didn’t lose any.

However I’m not sure if I’d recommend taking the risk with an uncovered tank with them. Most places seem to sell them for around 12-15 pound mark which is an expensive gamble if you have a group.

Cheers

Thankyou @Wookii . I use one of those jump guards as I have a rimless tank. Not too sure if they would jump, they were definitely small enough to jump through gaps in the screen of the jump guard when I got them however I didn’t lose any.

However I’m not sure if I’d recommend taking the risk with an uncovered tank with them. Most places seem to sell them for around 12-15 pound mark which is an expensive gamble if you have a group.

Cheers

Thanks Conor. How large are yours? Seriously Fish lists them at 25-30mm, but yours looks larger (though it could just be the photo perspective).

Thanks Conor. How large are yours? Seriously Fish lists them at 25-30mm, but yours looks larger (though it could just be the photo perspective).
I recon the females are around that size but the two dominant males are probably 10mm or so bigger. One thing to note with these is they can be pretty harsh on each other when they want to. Most of the time they’ll swim around happily as they are in these pictures but the dominant males can turn all of a sudden and send all the other pencil fish cowering into the plants. Split fins aren’t uncommon when these episodes occur.

They also occasionally nip newly introduced fishes fins but the novelty wears off after a few hours and they never do it again. Very bizarre behaviour and can’t explain why they do it. They are certainly not a fish for nano tanks which is what I have seen recommended in the past.

Cheers

LMAO! What's a small bite among friends?

Back