• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

constructing better flow

@Ghosty
If all pipes but the spraybar/outflow(smaller lD, eg. 22/16mm to 16/12mm) are of the same ID, there will be a slight loss of speed but also a higher pressure and a much stronger flow.

There are going to be losses for both a sudden constriction and a sudden expansion, it's better to just match the hoses.

I think you're saying 22/16 hose to a 16/12 spraybar? If so, it's impossible for you to have lower speed... Mass continuity. Amount of water going into the pipe must be the same as water coming out, otherwise the pipe would be expanding. The flowrate is just the area times the speed. If you've reduced the area, the speed will increase.

The energy within the water can't be increased. Your job is simply to ensure you transfer that energy to your tank as efficiently as possible (i.e. minimise the losses), which certainly isn't done by mismatching hoses! If anything, its probably that your 16/22 spraybar holes are too big

Yeah, sure.
Maybe I've mistaken the words flow and speed, beg your pardon, and my spraybar example was not good.
I just meant, that reducing the latest part of your outflow (like borneo wild hammered parts), will increase the pressure inside your complete outflow pipe (because the filterpump will still work as hard as before and fill the outflow pipe.

So, this additional pressure increases the speed of the water flowing out of your outflow (what a sentence..) and higher speed is imho always suitable for a better flow inside the tank.

and higher speed is imho always suitable for a better flow inside the tank.

I've addressed this earlier! it's just not true. Its not a subject that should be approached with opinions...

It's like saying higher speed is better for hammering nails into wood, and therefore a smaller hammer is better because you can swing it faster.

I see, we're not gonna reach a consensus.
It's probably a type of personal experience (or country :D) - like using or hating spraybars.

Hey guys cheers for all the help

I think I have a better understanding of what I have to do.
Where do I buy the parts from
I need a bit to go from my tubing to the PVC or acrylic pipe hen a few elbows and then of course the straight bits

Now as I am running. To externals on my 55g could I run one long spray bar of 2 filters

you need to have two spray bars, joining one filter at each end doesnt work well.

best bet is just to make some acrylic holes, drill small well spaced holes with the assumption you will either add more holes or make the current ones bigger. Test it on the tank above the water, when the water hits the front glass in an almost horizontal pattern then you have the right amount of holes.
Then either attach with a normal shepherds crook of bend one yourself from acrylic which is a little fiddly but very doable (youtube videos show how)

Wicked cheers mate

Think I found a website for all the sweeping bends and tubes
I've read that I divide the inside diameter of the pipe by the number of holes I want to get the size of each hole.but I'm sure either the last few holes or the first few need to be bigger could someone explain this better for me?

Back