• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Confused Triptych - Now A journal of one tank!

bigmatt

Hello all,
With the birth of daughter no.2, and after some hard thinking i decided to get rid of my big (215l) tank. I'd never really got it like i wanted and because of the dimensions of the tank i would have had to spend an unrealistic amount of cash to get it anything like. So, in it's place i now have three nanos! Big Whoop! :D
13032011085.jpg

(sorry for the dubious quality of the pics - had to do them on my phone as having camera issues)
Two of these were sat in the garage doing nothing, and i miraculously ( :oops: ) acquired the Aqua El Shrimp tank after falling for a pretty little Betta in my LFS
Tank 1 - A Betta Place to Live
01032011074.jpg

This is the hardscape in the Aqua El 20 litre tank. All three tanks had to be done on a budget so i used some Manzi wood that i got from Planted Box a while ago and never used, plus some river rocks that were sat in our garden. Substrate is a mix of Tropica Complete and dark river gravel, mixed together rather than layered.
Planted with a few crypts (species unknown), dwarf hairgrass and a couple of anubias, and the wood and one of the rock dressed with some weeping moss attached with superglue.
13032011084.jpg

As you can see i'm using the supplied internal filter and heater - cost management and also because using an external is prohibited by the cover glass supplied. I want to keep the cover glass on as this tank houses a lovely little fighter, so it's best to maintain a layer of nice humid air above the water.
I plan to run CO2 in this tank, probably through the venturi attachment of the filter, but this is to be set up yet.

Tank 2 - White Cloud
I'm a bit proud of this one!
13032011079.jpg

Sadly the photo doesn't really do it justice, and the MAHOOSIVE 300w heater on the left of the pic desperately needs replacing with something smaller once i get paid!!! Tank dimensions are 40x20x20cm, and it's running on an Eheim pro external filter, with a total of 36w lighting and CO2 injection running 24/7 keeping the dropchecker on the yellow side of green. It presently accommodates 10 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, though i'm shortly going to be putting a few low grade Red Cherry shrimp in there to see how they get on with the fish, with a view to evetually putting my shrimp with stronger colours in there to breed some super reds.
Plants are dwarf hairgrass, anubias, java fern, some vallis and a couple of unknown echinodorus, with weeping moss on the manzi wood
I'm dosing EI dry powders on all of these at the mo, but i'm not really getting great colours in the plants so may have to chager my dosing regime a little. Another indicator of poor plant nutrition is that i'm getting that nasty petrpchemical sheen on the water, which is a bit irritating!
I'm also going to swap the shepherds crook on the filter outlet for a spraybar to hopefully even out the flow and help things along

Tank 3 - Plat(y)onic, or possibly The End(ler)
This one isn't exactly what i wanted, but i'll need to dash now to sort the kids out so i'll get back to you!

All comments gladly recei :thumbup: :thumbup: ved!
Matt

Re: Triptych - A journal of three tanks

As this journal is such a hit i thought i'd better update it! :D
glosso.jpg

Took up the hairgrass at the front as it was growing well but not really doing a great deal for me. As i have gas running i thought i'd give glosso a pop (not brave enough to try HC yet!) sourced from Westyygx. It's been in for a couple of weeks now (and how much easier to proper tweezers and scissors make things?!?!?!?!!?!) and it's showing upwards growth and seems to be rooting well, so i'm hoping it'll start setting out runners soon. I've just given it it's first trim to try and ecourage it.
I've had CO2 issues. You'll notice the distainct lack of WCMM in the tank - accidentally knocked the needle valve and gassed the fish which i was REALLY hacked off about - they were showing great colours and beautiful white tips to their fins. Reminded me of killifish when they flared their fins. The solenoid has then packed up so i'm seeing some BBA from all the fluctuations in gas - hoping to sort it wth some LC soon. Any suggestions for new livestock when i restock it? Thinking about Threadfin Rainbowfish, or maybe some CPD
Initially plant colours were a bit washed out. Wasn't dosing any Mg so added some in and HEY PRESTO - lovely greens and better growth appeared!
I've also put in a clear acrylic spraybar made with my own fair hands, i just need to bend a lily pipe and intake to get rid of the green plastic.
That's about it now - off to set up my nursery tank in the garage!
As always comments/criticisms gladly received!
MAtt

Nano's are fun although big tanks are nice.

Is that an Aquastart 320 on the right? I have one of those little jobbies for my nano. CPD's are great to watch, my males tend to hide in the rotala whilst the females play out front. I want to upgrade them later on to an Arc 60l, those tanks look swish. :thumbup:

Edit. How about 1 tank for a nice colony of shrimp?

I'm replacing the 320 with an opti nano for shrimp only! Journal is here!
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15517
The 320 wil then move into the garage as a nursery tank. It's a great little tank, but i find the lid and silver plastic around the top do detract a bit when looking at the three tanks together, and Garuf offered me the opti at a bargain price!
Seen the Arc 60 in MA South Leeds - very, very tasty indeed....
I kind of wanted to do the nano thing as when i get bored and want to play it doesn't cost nearly as much as with a big 'un! More scope for playing! Thinking about an iwagumi type layout next.....
Thanks for the comments!
Matt

very nice tanks Matt, no 2 is my fav adn will look great once it grows in. Shame about your co2 incident with the fish :( I had a similar problem with an end of tank dump witch killed a shoal of tetras :thumbdown:

Matt, i hear you on the cost. Adding bits for my latest project is hurting the back pocket, but it'll be worth it in the end.

I grabbed my 320 as my return to fish keeping. I took the black trim option although I could have saved a tenner if I took the pink one, hhhmmm let me think about that one. It was used to try some plants out and get into stem pruning.

Iwagumi in the Arc 60l would look awesome, now your giving me idea's. I've found them online for a few coppers under £90 with free postage, not bad for a setup that comes with a heater too. Do you remember the price in MA Leeds?

Anyway, I dont want to derail your journal too much but will just share a quick snap of my unpublished 320. Oliver Knott and yeast co2 when it works. Hardscape sucks as mine usually do although I feel a revamp coming on. Currently battling some algae that looks like the green fibre stuff you get on scouring pads but thats for another thread.

15p0nrd.jpg

Oh I checked your shrimp journal, waiting for pics :D

So...still no decent pics! Camera still on the blink!
Quick update - BBA pretty rampant as i've still not stabilised my CO2 injection. Got another UP Atomizer on the way for that, and seeing how it goes with a lily pipe rather than spraybar as it's only a small tank. To be honest the BBA isn't as bad as i was expecting, and LC treatment + manual removal seems to be getting on top of it. The Glosso still isn't taking off - i'm pruning it pretty hard so not sure why not. I suspect it's one of two things - either there's not enough light (18w over 16litres) or my co2 distribution to the substrate is not on the money - something i'm hoping to remedy with the UP atomiser and redeploying the spraybar if needed. Any further comments would be very much appreciated - and i'm still thinking about livestock!
Thanks as always,
Matt

Back