• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Computer help.. Won't boot

Westyggx

Hi all, I know their are a couple of pc experts in here so thought I'd give it a shot!

On Thursday my machine became really slow, when I finally booted to windows I noticed the wallpaper had changed and the time was wrong, I tried to do a restore but the restore points only had dates from may! When I looked further all my files had disappeared since may time. So in essence my computer somehow how has gone back in time, can I ever recover those files now?

Secondly, I read that it may have been the CMOS battery, I removed my gfx card and took out the battery left it for 10 minutes and put it back. Upon booting I now get 1 long beep and 3 Hirt beeps.

I've took out the 4 sticks of ram and tested one by one, reset the CPU and graphics card and I'm stil having the same issue.

My keyboard an mouse load, my screen does not. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Hi Mike
Do you know what BIOS system your running...the below is for a Award.

1 Long Beep, 3 Short Beeps
One long beep followed by three short beeps means that either the video card isn't installed or the memory on the video card is bad. Reseating or replacing the video card will typically fix the cause of this Award beep code.
hoggie

I don't hoggie, makes sense If its the gpu though as this only started once I had removed it to get to the CMOS. I've took it out and reslotted 20 times and its still not booting. Do you think I may have damaged it?

davem said:
Do you have onboard graphics as well as. Video card? If you have reset the bios it may may default to the onboard card.

No mate it doesn't, just found something in the case that looks like its come off something, I think my gfx has gone.. Going to see if I can borrow one to test.

Back