• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Comprehensive plant list + pictures?

hinch

Is there a good site out there or book I can buy that has a nice list of aquatic plants + pictures for each I'm trying to plan out a new plant and I have no idea what works together or indeed what most of the plants look like let alone what they're called for ordering.

So far I've been using TGM's show all on the plants section but there's a few plants that I do know of missing from their stock.

The Aquarium Plant Handbook

This one might be worth looking at if you would like a physical copy of something to sift through. Once you have names google images becomes very useful.

both sites and the book look very good thanks alot

think i'll be spending the next few days working out what I want to do in the tank now and making a shopping list :)

Christel Kasselmanns book doesn't offer any useful info about growing plants in an aquarium neither Amano's but at least the latter has prettier pictures. I'd stick on the online info or buy an aquascaping book like Amano's Complete works.

Very few books, if any, will show how to grow plants on a aquarium, there are so many ways and techniques that your best bet is to learn from forums like this one.

Now if you want to see how plants would look like then the following will help:
- Kasselman book (if you know German even better)
- tropica catalogue
- oriental plant book

There are also some other plant books, but the information on them is slightly dated, an the plant names have changed.

For me, ukaps and Kasselman are the best choice.

Not worried for growing now just need to see what everything looks like, sizes they can grow to, leaf types etc and what conditions they require for growth so I can work out what to put where and what works well together.

Something thats been vexing me for a while is the change from background to mid to fore how best to blend them together since I'm planning on using what I class as a small tank so not massive amounts of room for playing around or hardscaping. I'm trying to hold off doing what everyone else seems to do in small tanks and stick a big crop of rock and/or wood in there and plant around it.

In my head I can see what I want it to look like but I don't know the plants or how to get there just yet :) so I need something visual to look at so I can work out how to get to where I want to be. If that makes sense.

clonitza said:
You can find a very good visual reference in the forum's journals section. :)

aye i've been looking through every one i can find unfortunately though this is where the other references are needed as I can't visually identify the plants yet I know a couple just not loads

hinch said:
Not worried for growing now just need to see what everything looks like, sizes they can grow to, leaf types etc and what conditions they require for growth so I can work out what to put where and what works well together.

Something thats been vexing me for a while is the change from background to mid to fore how best to blend them together since I'm planning on using what I class as a small tank so not massive amounts of room for playing around or hardscaping. I'm trying to hold off doing what everyone else seems to do in small tanks and stick a big crop of rock and/or wood in there and plant around it.

In my head I can see what I want it to look like but I don't know the plants or how to get there just yet :) so I need something visual to look at so I can work out how to get to where I want to be. If that makes sense.

I know the feeling well. When you have grown a few species you get used to their growth habits. Once you have that then you will know how it would look in that new tank your planning.

If you setup your hardscape and post up in the journal section I'm sure you will be advised on suitable plants to use if you request it. Although this may lead you back to your problem of doing what everyone else is doing.

I can see my current project all filled out in my head, I'm not 100% sure on the plants, but (as already posted) reading journals and google images should help you out, it worked for me. ;)

Finally, if a plant ain't right, whip it out and replace it. It's just a learning curve, try different things for yourself and enjoy it.

Ask in the journal thread I'm sure someone following it will chime in with the plant name.

hinch said:

Then Kasselman's book and the plant catalogue of Oriental are very good books. :)

Back