• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 numbing effect on fish from oxidators? (Or any effect at all on anything?)

curlingmom

I have inherited two very aged and somewhat neglected shrimp tanks: one with a quite elderly red&white shrimp. (The latter now have taxied out in its wheel chair. R-I-P.) and another with 6 full grown amanos (probably also quite elderly ) and a runt.
Each tank was densely planted with tiered looking plants on old soil + an empty Söchting Oxidator (glass dome with pellets and a ceramic base).
Along came one litre of 6% brand hydrogenperoxide + an brand new extra set. I cleansed and refilled the two domes and enjoyed the occational trickle of oxygen they let out.

After research for info on their actual effect not finding anything substantial a feeling crept up on me: Maybe this is just some kind of old timer shrimp gear fad?.
The densely planted 30 l. seems to me not a lot of space for the pack of huge amanos and I removed the domes from the tank.
Plants and shrimps seems indifferent to this.
The plants actually have grown even more and taken more colour. probably doing better with an occational squirt of "the brown fertilizer" and weekly water changes.
(Plants: crypt. red with amanos respectively valisneria tiger. Both tanks with old soil + tap water, an alder cone and a dried walnut leaf.)

Six weeks ago I reinstated the oxidatos in my newly established 112 l. low tech tank set on high flow in the maturing period. Here they trickle along nicely. Plant grow is slow but steady. Light now 8 hours max. All seems ok. I really cannot say if the glass domes make any difference to the plants.
What i can say though is that they do a difference in my feeling a caretaking underwater gardener to my plants. And maybe upping my low tech status a bit.
Key nutrition of a fad. And maybe/probably/presumably why it experienced its tide among avid shrimp keepers? OR?

My question in this thread rises from a thread here on CO2 making fish lethargic if not monitoried metiqulously.
When i add fish to the tank, will the trickle from the two oxydators affect the well being of my fish ?

Or are they simply too small to make any difference to neither plants nor fish?
Thank you in advance. 🙂

Tank 112 l:
Amazon soil, a layer of chicklid sand mixed with rounded 3-4mm pebbles.

Water:
rainwater + partial tap water. 22 Celcius, pH 7,2. Stable values.

Plants:
various buchephalandra, Echinodorus Sword + Reni, Schismatoglottis Prietoi, Anubias Barterii + Nana, valisneria "Tiger", Aponogeton Longiplumosos, Fontinalis Antipyrethrum, Riccia fluitans, Cladrophora Aegarophila, Phyllantus Fluitans, red crypts. + some quickly growing stem plants.

Fish:
amandae, pygmy corys, celestial pearl danios. All presently in other tanks (30x30x60) + probably 7 WC Minnows as dithers.

OBS: Not sure where to post this question. Thought this might be the best forum.

Last edited:
Hi all,
My question in this thread rises from a thread here on CO2 making fish lethargic if not monitoried metiqulously.
When i add fish to the tank, will the trickle from the two oxydators affect the well being of my fish ?
I think they are fine, you could potentially get <"gas bubble disease"> if you supersaturated the water column with oxygen (O2), but it is never going to happen in this case - <"https://www3.epa.gov/region1/npdes/merrimackstation/pdfs/ar/AR-1256.pdf">.

The <"only real risk"> would be a leak of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)

There is a suggestion that long term <"Twinstar"> use <"might damage mosses">, but again you would be talking about oxygen nano bubbles, with a very long persistence time in the water column.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thank you, Darrel,
I took a tour reading in the links. They were informative (One even quite feisty! 😀 )and all ... raising new questions. 🙂
The only mosses I have is a steadiy growing Riccia fluitans on the bottom and Fontinalis Antipyrethrum on wood.
The Fontinalis seems to have perked up after the introduction of the oxydator which is happened to be placed just below it.
But that may only be a coincidense as the scandinavian moss now may have adjusted to the tank (22 C).
Will keep an eye out though.
Best, Hanne

Hi all,
The Fontinalis seems to have perked up after the introduction of the oxydator which is happened to be placed just below it.
It may well be the effect of the oxydator, mainly because Fontinalis antipyretica <"https://www.britishbryologicalsociety.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Fontinalis-antipyretica.pdf"> comes from clean, flowing water that will be well oxygenated.

2021-03-06-13-17-58.jpg

But that may only be a coincidense as the scandinavian moss now may have adjusted to the tank (22 C).
It never lasts long in my tanks, but I don't know if that is a temperature effect.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
It never lasts long in my tanks, but I don't know if that is a temperature effect.
Neither do I. It was a limited offer from 1-2 grow and as such have now been removed from the vendors website.
Temperature in the tank here is 22 C. - max 23 C. If it takes too much on (or dwindle) I will transfer it to the "frogcupied" outlet stream by the pond.
Suspect it to be a more natural environment for it than a 24/7 stable temperature year round.

Back