• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 in filter inlet vs CO2 inline atomiser

Jaap

Hello,

which one of the two methods is more efficient? The co2 in the filter inlet or an inline atomiser on the outflow of the filter, thus filling up the water with microbubbles?

Thanks

Based purely on my own anecdotal evidence, the inline atomiser used less gas, and produced better results for me, and my set up.
I've no scientific evidence to back this up: just my eyes....

Based purely on my own anecdotal evidence, the inline atomiser used less gas, and produced better results for me, and my set up.
I've no scientific evidence to back this up: just my eyes....

So you mean you had the inline atomiser on the outflow of the filter?

You can put inline diffuser in filter inlet piping, allowing the passage through the filter to dissolve the micro bubbles. But this can have issues, filter "burping" due to collected gas, filter seals can/will be affected by CO2 either softening or hardening, but main one is the inline diffuser will need cleaning every couple of months as it has dirty water passing over it. I have had my diffuser on my filter outlet pipe since 2012 and not needed to clean it.

You can put inline diffuser in filter inlet piping, allowing the passage through the filter to dissolve the micro bubbles. But this can have issues, filter "burping" due to collected gas, filter seals can/will be affected by CO2 either softening or hardening, but main one is the inline diffuser will need cleaning every couple of months as it has dirty water passing over it. I have had my diffuser on my filter outlet pipe since 2012 and not needed to clean it.

Ok thanks...cleaning would be one issues....however which of the two is considered more efficient or lets say better for the plants? dissolving completely in filter or microbubbles from outflow?

Output
The co2 in the filter inlet or an inline atomiser on the outflow of the filter,
Thanks
Sorry,may have misunderstood OP
I was comparing a ceramic diffuser under the filter inlet;against an atomiser on the output.

Output

Sorry,may have misunderstood OP
I was comparing a ceramic diffuser under in the filter inlet;against an atomiser on the output.

Hey its close enough, actually its the same thing...I am basically asking which is better....adding co2 in the filter and "completely" dissolving it or an atomiser on the outflow thus filling the water column with microbubbles?

Diffuser into the inlet didn't work at all for me. I'd get no visible bubbles for a while, then a big fizzing noise and a load of large ones would come bubbling out of the spray bar and straight out of the water. Also it made the impeller knock quite loudly inbetween the big bubbles escaping. Drop checker stayed resolutely blue, where as even a cheap ceramic diffuser directly into the tank was giving a nice mid green colour.

FWIW
when i changed from a ceramic diffuser under the TTEX1200 inlet, to an inline atomiser, i could use less gas to get my PH drop.
The filter occasionally 'burped' under the former method.

I'd stay clear of putting it on inlet based on my experience. Burping and quite noisey. I've more or less tried everything other than a homemade reactor. I'm considering getting a small in tank filter and fitting a diffuser in it in place of a hydor. I know it will be hugly but if it works..... We will see.

I'd stay clear of putting it on inlet based on my experience. Burping and quite noisey. I've more or less tried everything other than a homemade reactor. I'm considering getting a small in tank filter and fitting a diffuser in it in place of a hydor. I know it will be hugly but if it works..... We will see.

My daughter has one of those funny looking Aquanox diffusers underneath an Eheim pickup filter, works a treat.

Also +1 on putting co2 into the inlet of canister filters, horrible noises.

Hey its close enough, actually its the same thing...I am basically asking which is better....adding co2 in the filter and "completely" dissolving it or an atomiser on the outflow thus filling the water column with microbubbles?
the microbubbles in the tank work better.
You can have a read on this topic at thebarrreport.com. Search for CO2 mist method. plus its less dangerous for life stock since you dont get/need so much dissolved co2

Last edited:
so what is it that puts people off in line diffusers?
is it just the fact they don`t like the bubbles?

I know it's only been early days, but since this afternoon, I'm running a JBL e401 on a 45 ltr., with (DIY Bio) CO2 injected directly into the filter inlet (CO2-tubing with cigarette filter glued into the bottom of the inlet) and so far, no noises whatsoever, besides some fizzing from the spraybar every now and then; no burping or nothing. No idea how well the CO2 is being diffused (don't use dropcheckers), but I will see how the plants respond in the coming weeks Am quite confident though,am seeing the micro bubbles go into the inlet, and am seeing way less bubbles than through the internal filter I was using earlier (with the same sort of setup; tubing glued into the bottom/ inlet part of the filter) when watching the spraybar, so I'm concluding more/ most of the CO2 is being diffused into the water than before.

John Dory, if you think about it the main aquascapers mostly use difusers and not reactors except a few like Tom Barr and a few others. Look at Amanos tanks, Tropicas, James finleys, Oliver Knotts etc, they all use diffusers, although I dont understand why they dont use inline atomizers as much(maybe its moremof a new thing).

Yes many people using reactors say they use them because they dont like the 7 up look. I personally dont mind it. Also i believe they use them because of the perception that all the co2 being disolved must be better and more eficient. Trying to get a 1 unit ph swing is something easier achived with a reactor as well.

also, this is my theory, I think with a reactor algae is more easily induced due to co2 concenctration fluctuations. Id have investigate much more on this though.

I dont like inline atomisers because of the micro bubbles in the tank and I dont like Amano style diffusers because of the clutter in the tank. Using CO2 directly into the filter as a reactor has worked very well for me for many years with relatively undemanding plants with no noise problems etc. 1-2 bubbles per sec into a 400 liter tank was fine.

I think the reason the use of the filter as a reactor is not promoted very much is because it sells less products. I hope that there will be an increase in the number and types of reactor offerings in the coming years. In Amanos monster tanks he is clearly using some type of reactor outside of the tank and id love to know their design..

Reactors are almost the only option in huge tanks yes, like the one Amanos got at home, but very few of us are going to have such big anks. I can post videos of huge tanks with just a difuser which look lovely. For smaller ones its up to personal taste although there is scientifical data at thebarrreport.com that co2 bubbles make plants grow more/ faster/ produce more oxygen. But reactors are of course a good option although I dont likee them.

by the way Chris your tanks look awsome so obviously both methods work. But youd have to agree that reactors are a harder method.

Last edited:
Thanks for the "awesome" comment Jose!

Yes I'd agree the simplest option right now is an atomiser or diffuser but my unscientifiic experience is that my fish, shrimp and plants seem happier with a reactor.

As for the original question re efficiency I doubt there is much actually much difference.

Back