• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

co2 diffusion???

Alastair

I am due to start settings up co2 on my tank and am in two minds as to how to dissolve my co2 into my tank.

I have two ex1200s running via spray bars along the back of the tank directing flow to the front, down and back round.
I have noticed some people run the co2 inline with there filters but have also heard of problems with co2 bubbles building up inside the spray bar...

What I'm wondering is would It be ok to have two diffusers placed on the back of the tank underneath each spray bar so as it rises its rushed to the front of the tank and back down?

I have two inline diffusers that I have purchased off ebay but if it would be a better option to purchase glass one and have them under the spray bars then ill do that. Could anyone point me in the right direction please

Thanks

AL

Al

Considering that you are running two filter system it would be advisable to use both diffusers. Using two filters splits your tank into two - one filter for the right side and the other for the left side, place the two diffuser under the spray bars is no problem at all - but you will see a lot of tiny bubbles within the tank - if you dont want to see any bubbles within the tank put you diffuser underneath the filter intake pipe, some people on the forum are not happy about this method as there is rumor that the Co2 gas damages the rubber seals within the filter unit. Try both method and see which one works best for you. I have my diffuser underneath the water intake pipe no problems to report.

Regards
Paul.

foxfish said:
What size tank?

It's 150x60x50 ish if I have those the right way round. Length by width and height....its a vision 450 so probably about 400 litres. I'm going to be stripping it just after Xmas to put a new substrate in etc but want to get to grips with having co2 running thanks

Flyfisherman said:
Al

Considering that you are running two filter system it would be advisable to use both diffusers. Using two filters splits your tank into two - one filter for the right side and the other for the left side, place the two diffuser under the spray bars is no problem at all - but you will see a lot of tiny bubbles within the tank - if you dont want to see any bubbles within the tank put you diffuser underneath the filter intake pipe, some people on the forum are not happy about this method as there is rumor that the Co2 gas damages the rubber seals within the filter unit. Try both method and see which one works best for you. I have my diffuser underneath the water intake pipe no problems to report.

Regards
Paul.

Thanks for your reply mate. I was originally thinking of putting the co2 near the intake but with the reliability issues with these filters I'm avoiding that route for now.

I just didn't want a build up of co2 bubbles in my spray bars with running it inline with my filters and at the minute not sure I could afford the more expensive reactors

I didn't think of all the tiny bubbles that would be in the tank if I used the other method though...hmmm

OK that's a nice big tank!
One inline diffuser like an UP model viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13700 will work well as long as you have plenty of internal water movement.
They do produce a very fine mist of micro bubbles but, lots of folk use this method (including myself) it give a great indication of C02 distribution & is very effeciant :)

ALt81 said:
[Thanks for your reply mate. I was originally thinking of putting the co2 near the intake but with the reliability issues with these filters I'm avoiding that route for now.

I just didn't want a build up of co2 bubbles in my spray bars with running it inline with my filters and at the minute not sure I could afford the more expensive reactors

I didn't think of all the tiny bubbles that would be in the tank if I used the other method though...hmmm

Hi Al

Yes - might be an issue using TT filters as the head seals are prone for leaking.

Yes by running an inline difuser within the returning water pipe / spray bar some gas - as a bubble will remain trapped in the spray bar. As for the other method - diffuser underneath spray bar will distrubute the tiny bubbles around the tank and you will see them, the other method underneath the intake pipe, the filter media smashes the bubbles up completely so there are no bubbles returning back into the aquarium. Stick with you original plan of placing the diffuser underneath the spray bars.

Regards
paul.

Thanks for the info guys and cheers Paul. Will stick with putting diffusers under the spray bars for now until I can afford to purchase an Aquamedic reactor or something like that. I don't want to go chopping my filter hoses only to change my mind a day or two after ha ha

Thanks

Al

What you plan with the two filters and their spraybars with two diffusers sounds great, but to get even better circulation, you should place the intakes qt opposite ends so you get a sort of figure of eight between outputs and intakes.

Tricky to explain but looking at the front, assuming filters are at either end, I mean for the left filter to have the spraybar on the left side of the tank, but the intake over on the right side.
And for the right filter, to have the spraybar on the right side and the intake over on the left.
:)

It gives better circulation of everything. Co2, fertilisers, temperature and anything else thats in the water column.
:)

I personally think that the "figure of eight" configuration as suggested by Gfish (unless I am misunderstanding his suggestion) i.e. having the spraybar at one end of the tank and intake at the other end of tank for each filter will cause the flow for each filter to be fighting/restricting the other causing less flow (circulation) in the centre of your tank in particular (opposing forces). I find better flow for each filter having the spraybar and its intake at same end of the tank. I think this gives better flow pattern i.e. from spraybar to front of tank, down the front glass and then across the substrate back to its own intake. Although theoretically each filter is "doing its own thing" in each half of the tank, enough natural mixing of water, fertilisers, temperature etc still happens. I use this method with a CO2 diffuser at each filter intake and everything seems to work pretty effectively, good flow, all plants doing well, and no algae (apart from minimal BBA).

I think what Gfish is suggesting is to have the spraybars on the back wall of the tank but the intakes then doing a cross over so as you look at the tank the left spray bars intake is at the back on the right and vice versa
Matt

Back