• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning up old tank glass - any tips?

Malarky

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning up an old tank? I have tried white vinegar on the glass but it doesn't seem to be touching it. The inside glass is covered in snail eggs which seem to come away with a but of scouring but there is also a rough feel to the touch on the inside glass (I am in a super hard water area). Is there a better agent than vinegar for dissolving this stuff? It's never going to be a presentation tank but should be serviceable for myself or others if I can find a way of cleaning it up.

Citric acid works better for me, and still safe to touch. If not, you'll need hydrochloric or sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid is a bit safer because it does not vaporize that much. Use a sprayer and give it some time.

If none of those work, then you're in trouble because the precipitate is likely silicate. It can be dissolved with sodium hydroxide, but the problem is that glass is the same silicate, so you may damage its surface as well.

After using various things including half a lemon I made the discovery that melamine cleaning sponges successfully remove the hard deposits. Also, what I took for minerals that had precipitated out of my water is actually alge, evident because the damp sponge becomes dark green and this is not at all visible on the glass. Anybody know if melamine is fish and shrimp safe in a live tank?

Citric acid works better for me, and still safe to touch. If not, you'll need hydrochloric or sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid is a bit safer because it does not vaporize that much. Use a sprayer and give it some time.

If none of those work, then you're in trouble because the precipitate is likely silicate. It can be dissolved with sodium hydroxide, but the problem is that glass is the same silicate, so you may damage its surface as well.
Would have to second citric acid, I tend to keep a couple of kilogrammes around for various things like descaling kettle and washing machine (also removes any smells) - much more effective, and safer, than most commercial descalers.

I also like the Dennerle Cleanator, other than that it's a razor blade job.

Attachments

• 20231008_125659.jpg
    20231008_125659.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
Back