• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning Dragon stone

SinkorSwim

Hi all,

So, I'm cleaning up some dragon stone..

I spent an hour Friday evening cleaning it with a cheap toothbrush but realised the amount of hard clay on the rock was significant as holes, canals and ridges were appearing as I brushed away.

I've just spent another hour after soaking it 48 hours and it still is no where near ready to be used.
Has anyone cleaned this rock successfully? I ask as I really want to use it in a CRS tank but can't if it's going to make the TDS shoot through the roof which it will in its current state.

I have thought about using a power hose but that woukd likely break the stone which I really don't want to do. any suggestions on how to clean it up would be greatly appreciated. Preferably without using toxic solvents..but all suggestions considered.

Thanks,

Al.

Attachments

• 14796776129231327241983.jpg
    14796776129231327241983.jpg
    921.5 KB · Views: 687
I've just had a go last night. I reckon a wire brush might work, I've given up now though. Not bothered really, its just more clay, and I have clay substrate....

Make sure you give it a good rinse after the dishwasher. The thing is stuffed full of soap for most of its life, its not going to be soap free just because you do one wash without!

I took the dragon strone out of the dishwasher and it was largely unaffected sadly.. a sharp knife is my next attempt - but it's practically caked in orange clay so i'm contemplating just shelving it.

Back