• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chip Led light 100cm tank

IoannisB

Seedling
Hi all
I need your advice about Led light
My aquarium is L 100cm X H 55cm X W 35cm
I want to buy a chip but good Led system.
Preffered looking color is RGB
My source lighting now are 4xT5 39W (2 Sylvania grolux and 2 Osram 865) but my plants don t going well

Do you have any photos, or perhaps details of how plants are not doing well?

Tank information?
Kind of Blue journal might serve as an example of tank detail information

If you're using high output T5 with good reflectors, (lack of) light should not be a problem

Most cheap LED won't provide higher substrate lighting (PAR/intensity) than your present T5's given the 55cm water column height

Twinstar S perhaps (but then not "cheap")

Hardware
- 100cm long/35 cm wide/55 cm high, open top
- glass, 10mm
- Lights: 2 pieces Hagen Glo T5 2X39W each. Bulbs 2 Osram 865 and 2 Sylvania Grolux 12 hours per day
- Filtration: SUNSUN HW 303A
- Seachem Flourite Sand + Jbl Manado
- DIY CO2 from Yeast
Plants
Alternathera Reinickii
Microsorum Pteropus
Bacopa Caroliniana
Fish
Congo Tetra

Issues
Fall of the lower leaves
Algae

Hi
Do U add any fertilisers and how often.
It seems that U have some sort of insufficient CO2 and strong light issues .
Some pics or video will defo help to get the full picture
Regards Konsa

I don t have a good camera but i will tyry later to have some pics.
Despite these issues the point is to find a solution and upgrade my lighting with Led
What about to combine the one Glo with Yescom multi color?
or combine with this 37" multi color led https://www.ebay.com/itm/302716422054?ul_noapp=true
or to replace the two grolux with Arcadia T5 Led Tropical pro?
or to buy a chichiros Rgb led?

Attachments

• WP_001177.jpg
    WP_001177.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
upgrade my lighting with Led
this 37" multi color led https://www.ebay.com/itm/302716422054?ul_noapp=true
or to replace the two grolux with Arcadia T5 Led Tropical pro?
or to buy a chichiros Rgb led?

The eBay LED is 180 LEDs @ 37watt, working straight numbers, these will be (cheap) 0.2 watt LEDs - or at best, possibly some combination of 0.1watt (blue) & 0.2 & 0.3 watt LEDs - either way, the light will be "bright" until about the middle of your 55cm tall tank, substrate light level will be less than with your T5 system

If you look at forum reports for the Chihiros RGB LED, again it's most suitable 30-36cm tall tanks

As for the Arcadia LED (T5) replacement tubes, I recommend contacting Arcadia for details such as type (manufacturer) & wattage & intensity of the LEDs used, also lumens or PAR

Yeast CO2 can provide surprisingly high levels of CO2 but tends to be uneven in CO2 production, use of wine yeast (rather than baking yeast) helps with this, also running at least 2 source bottles of the yeast CO2 (started at intervals) - what are your yeast CO2 details?

About Arcadia i found this
+ 850 mm - 12 W
+ replaces one T5 tube with 39 W
+ length: 850 mm, d= 16 mm
+ Lumen: 900
+ number of LED: 105

About Yeast i use one 1,5L Coke bottle

About Yescom Led i found this
White LEDs
110pcs (8000K,0.5w)
Blue LEDs
9pcs (460nm, 0.5W)
Pink LEDs
4pcs (465nm, 0.5W)
Red LEDs
4pcs (625nm, 0.5W)
Green LEDs
2pcs (500nm, 0.5W)
Adaptor Power
Input: 100-240V 4A
Output:12V 2.6A

Last edited:
4 T5 tubes, even without reflectors, is well and truly in the very very high light region of light intensity, you will be able to both grow and vaporise any type of aquatic plant with this level of light.

Your plants not doing well is nothing to do with light & its levels, if you replace with suitably expensive LED's that even come near T5 HO light levels you will still suffer poor plants is nothing to do with light.

You have actually told us 100% why your plants are so poor...hint below...(as well as light levels being way way way way way too high).
- DIY CO2 from Yeast

What fertilising dosing and regime are you using as well ?

What is your filter and its turn over rate ?

My suggestions..
1. Change to bottled CO2 injection solution to get proper/correct levels of CO2. 99.999% of plant problems seen here are poor CO2 implementation. I very much doubt you are the 0.001% that is not poor CO2.
2. Run with only 2 T5 tubes (or less by blocking the tubes with foil rings).
3. Add fertilisers.
4. Report back to use what your way forward is going to be, please. :)

Hi
Why are U so keen on updrading your lights.
The light U have now are more than enough to grow most plants U will ever have.
Your plants trouble are NOT because your lights are not strong enough.It is very likely that you have CO2 and flow and distribution
Issues for the ammount of light U have .I have a similar size tank but only 40 ish cm high with 2 T8 18w on it and the plants grow slow but healthy in it without CO2 and with way less light than U have.
There is a bloke on here from your country that grows one of the most healthy plants I have seen in his tanks without the fancy expensive Leds.Have a look yourself.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-tanks.37848/

Get in toch with him he maybe able to give U some tips on how he manages to do that.
Regards Konsa

4 T5 tubes, even without reflectors, is well and truly in the very very high light region of light intensity, you will be able to both grow and vaporise any type of aquatic plant with this level of light.

Your plants not doing well is nothing to do with light & its levels, if you replace with suitably expensive LED's that even come near T5 HO light levels you will still suffer poor plants is nothing to do with light.

You have actually told us 100% why your plants are so poor...hint below...(as well as light levels being way way way way way too high).

What fertilising dosing and regime are you using as well ?

What is your filter and its turn over rate ?

My suggestions..
1. Change to bottled CO2 injection solution to get proper/correct levels of CO2. 99.999% of plant problems seen here are poor CO2 implementation. I very much doubt you are the 0.001% that is not poor CO2.
2. Run with only 2 T5 tubes (or less by blocking the tubes with foil rings).
3. Add fertilisers.
4. Report back to use what your way forward is going to be, please. :)

Flter SUNSUN HW 303A 1400 L/H
No ferts at all
Can't buy and use Bottle Co2
I must change to LED because of 2 facts. 1) Electricity monthly cost, 2) Too much heating especially in summer periods

Hi
Why are U so keen on updrading your lights.
The light U have now are more than enough to grow most plants U will ever have.
Your plants trouble are NOT because your lights are not strong enough.It is very likely that you have CO2 and flow and distribution
Issues for the ammount of light U have .I have a similar size tank but only 40 ish cm high with 2 T8 18w on it and the plants grow slow but healthy in it without CO2 and with way less light than U have.
There is a bloke on here from your country that grows one of the most healthy plants I have seen in his tanks without the fancy expensive Leds.Have a look yourself.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/my-tanks.37848/

Get in toch with him he maybe able to give U some tips on how he manages to do that.
Regards Konsa
As i already answered
I must change to LED because of 2 facts. 1) Electricity monthly cost, 2) Too much heating especially in summer periods

Hi
Thats good points U have made.
have U though about making yourself one.Or do U have someone with knowledge about that sort of things that can do it for U.It can be done on a low budget and U will have exactly what you want.
Have a look here.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/led-diy.49569/
Thank you for your answer
thas really great
the diffficult is to find someone with knowledge to construct it

Hi
For any electronics or electro technician should be like walk in the park.U may have some Custom leds manufacturer too if U have a look arround
Regards Konsa

Hey everyone ,
When I was planning to build an led fixture I had no knowledge about electricity at all or even soldering. The reason I provided all the information on that thread is to make it easy for anyone that does not know anything about electronics. I refuse to pay allot of money for a simple construction. Good led fixtures cost allot of money and some of them do not even have a controller. For a 1/3 of the price you can build your self a good led fixture. Also if anything goes wrong you can even fix it your self.

No ferts at all
Yet another reason why the plants are suffering, you must feed them, especially at the light levels you have.

If you aren't or can't move to bottled CO2, then your best bet will be to try running with only one T5 tube, that is normally bright enough (actually maybe too bright) to grow most plants, no problem. That will cut you electricity down to a quarter at now cost.

The problem with LED's, it will cost serious money to come anywhere equivalent to T5 output.

Your tubes are T5 39W which is 850mm and will be about 2300 lumens.

An Aquatlantis LED fixture @ 850mm is 44W (so hardly power saving !!) @ 3600 lumens, but @ £130 each. Mind you, you will only need two (or one) as about 1 1/2 times brighter than T5. Also you must cost in a controller @ £60 or else you will be back to zapping your plants again.

So based on what you have just revealed
1. Don't get LED, this will only carry on killing your plants in exactly the same way your T5 tubes are at the moment.
2. Run with only one T5 tube, if you are not going to use pressurised CO2. Instant electricity saving.
3. Add fertiliser of some form.

Yet another reason why the plants are suffering, you must feed them, especially at the light levels you have.

If you aren't or can't move to bottled CO2, then your best bet will be to try running with only one T5 tube, that is normally bright enough (actually maybe too bright) to grow most plants, no problem. That will cut you electricity down to a quarter at now cost.

The problem with LED's, it will cost serious money to come anywhere equivalent to T5 output.

Your tubes are T5 39W which is 850mm and will be about 2300 lumens.

An Aquatlantis LED fixture @ 850mm is 44W (so hardly power saving !!) @ 3600 lumens, but @ £130 each. Mind you, you will only need two (or one) as about 1 1/2 times brighter than T5. Also you must cost in a controller @ £60 or else you will be back to zapping your plants again.

So based on what you have just revealed
1. Don't get LED, this will only carry on killing your plants in exactly the same way your T5 tubes are at the moment.
2. Run with only one T5 tube, if you are not going to use pressurised CO2. Instant electricity saving.
3. Add fertiliser of some form.
Thank you for your reply.
I have a question. What about if i keep the one Hagen glo and replace the two lamps with Arcadia T5 Led Tropical Pro and Freshwater pro?
Specs:
Tropical Pro
+ 850 mm - 12 W
+ Lumen: 900
Freshwater Pro
+ 850 mm - 12 W
+ Lumen: 1600

I have a question. What about if i keep the one Hagen glo and replace the two lamps with Arcadia T5 Led Tropical Pro and Freshwater pro?
Yes you could do, would save power and reduce lumens. But will still be far far too bright for the levels of CO2 and fertiliser you have.

However not all LED T5 tube replacements are suitable for all T5 fittings, especially if the existing T5 ballast is electronic, which unfortunately a lot of T5 fixings are and if used will damage/destroy the T5 ballast.

Arcadia say "The Arcadia T5 LED's are compatible with Arcadia T5 controllers", but Amazon reviews clearly indicate they often don't work with other controllers.

To retro fit the LED tubes, you will probably need to rewire your light fixture. The wiring diagram is often in the LED tubes user manual.

Here is a handy link to a PDF, to save me drawing pictures o_O of how to either replace T5 tube or required wiring T5 tube to support LED's.
https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/1636/0900766b81636990.pdf

Again I would suggest you aim to lower you light levels, sort CO2 and provide fertilisers before changing lights. You are just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, rather than attempting to fix the hole. :walkingdead:

Back