• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chihiros WRGB II Pro LED

Bradders

Hi All,

I have decided to migrate to the Chihiros WRGB II Pro and away from the Fluval Plant 3.0.

The reason was not so much the power of the Plant 3 (low-tech aquarium, easy plants) but to see if this medium-range Chihiros light improved colour rendition and aesthetics. I know some of you have wrestled over this question of 'upgrading', so I will provide more insight as I get used to the new light and what it has done for my environment. It's only been in the aquarium for 2 hours, so it's early days.

Initial out-of-the-box thoughts are positive, with orange platys never looking more orange and literally popping with colour. Furthermore, my dragon stone rock actually has some definition to it—I feel like I have moved from HD to 4K. But again, I need it to settle in before I really know whether it's worth it.

I'll post here if anyone is interested in how it goes. Most of the experts on UKAPS have lighting well and truly sorted, but if you are like me and on a journey, then I'm happy to share my lighting tale!

Thanks,
Brad

Indeed, I would like to assure all UKAPS members that no Platty fish were harmed (or 'popped') during the lighting migration. :D

I also upgraded lights recently, I also previously had fluval plant 3.0 lights. They grew plants well, but I was not happy with the color rendition. I got netlea AT6 pro lights. I use chihiros WRGB II pro lights on my tank at home and they are great, but I heard good things about the AT6 pro so I wanted to try something different.
Before (6 fluval 3.0 lights)
20240617_094824.jpg

After (5 Netlea AT6 pro lights)
20240617_141854.jpg

The difference is very substantial as you can see and it looks even better in person! Spectrum is also very adjustable to make it anything you want.

Nice @RickyV.

I know we are all about plants on UKAPS, but look at the rendition and contrast on the rock formation on the right, with the greenery poking out. And then (in the centre and centre left), you can see the separation of the plant colouration. Simply awesome.

@RickyV - I would just ask that if you take more pictures, can you please ask the fish to resume their places for a proper like for like?

I would say one thing about the before-and-after photos posted by @RickyV —the Fluval actually did do an admirable job. Where is lacked in colour definition, it did have bold contrast.

Certainly, something for me to look for in my Fluval to Chihiros move.

I also upgraded lights recently, I also previously had fluval plant 3.0 lights. They grew plants well, but I was not happy with the color rendition. I got netlea AT6 pro lights. I use chihiros WRGB II pro lights on my tank at home and they are great, but I heard good things about the AT6 pro so I wanted to try something different.
Before (6 fluval 3.0 lights)View attachment 220360

After (5 Netlea AT6 pro lights)
View attachment 220361
The difference is very substantial as you can see and it looks even better in person! Spectrum is also very adjustable to make it anything you want.
Are these with both lights at 100% all channels?

I would say one thing about the before-and-after photos posted by @RickyV —the Fluval actually did do an admirable job. Where is lacked in colour definition, it did have bold contrast.
Yeah they weren't terrible, though I imagine I could increase the contrast on these new ones by lowering the power. The fluvals at 100% power were 354 watts vs the new ones at 800 watts at 100% power. Currently running them 80% power, may even need to lower it. But I do have the lights hung 60 cm above the tank and the tank is 120 cm deep.

Are these with both lights at 100% all channels?
I had the fluvals 100% all channels except warm white which was at 0%. Here are the settings I had for the netleas in the picture.
Screenshot_20240617_151955_Netlea.jpg

Yeah they weren't terrible, though I imagine I could increase the contrast on these new ones by lowering the power. The fluvals at 100% power were 354 watts vs the new ones at 800 watts at 100% power. Currently running them 80% power, may even need to lower it. But I do have the lights hung 60 cm above the tank and the tank is 120 cm deep.

I had the fluvals 100% all channels except warm white which was at 0%. Here are the settings I had for the netleas in the picture.View attachment 220364
Whats the "F" channel?

Ahhh thanks. Well while im asking questions is the fan temp controlled as well or just 100% manual?
I forgot I wanted to ask, with them being 100% manual is there any reason other than noise not to run the fans at 100%?

Back