• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chihiros vivid 2 and red plants @ George farmer

Hi, sorry for the late reply, work commitments. Firstly I’ll say I don’t know how to work out ppm in dosing, is this a simple equation? If so could you explain? Planted aquariums need a chemistry degree! And for newcomers to this hobby it can look very daunting. I could if I wanted to study in depth about compounds in the water, and how they themselves react with each other and plants, eg which elements do what for a plant… too much of one element inhibits the uptake of another to scratch the surface but …. Not that I don’t understand it, it’s just too much headache for me. I like a simple life. I like to enjoy the fruits of my labour, not cramming in for my next molecular biology and chemistry lessons! I have a couple of recipes for different things and i use aquarium plant foods starter pack and when 1 of the 4 bags run out, normally trace, I order a fresh pack and Chuck the old stuff out as by then it’s clumping together. I’m unsure if I’m right here I’m probably not, your telling me that my phosphates are high, this is because it stops green spot algae running amok. I learnt of from this site actually. So if my phosphates are high at 7ppm then are your nitrates is also high? Iv never used urea, again too much headache, simple good old potassium nitrate. I think your nitrates are high, and if memory serves me correctly I remember reading that you should be aiming for ppm of 2 or lower for nitrate. Like I said I do not dose it in any way shape or form unless I have to. I find no I’ll effects with growth at all really, yeah it slows down a little bit, but not much, I’m still Edward scissor hands every week pruning and chopping. I read my plant leaves I find this much easier. There’s plenty of information of deficiency signs in aquatic plants, there’s only a couple that look similar. I’d have phosphate higher as well 0.5ppm seems low to me… kh is another one, this is low at 0.5 not sure how you got to 0.5 as im only aware of it rising in 1 degree at a time which corresponds to drops you add?…. Low kh can cause bad ph swings, this should be higher also at about 4, at night when your plants respire they release co2, low kh won’t buffer and this could cause a ph swing that threatens inhabitants, and also sensitive plants. Amazonia soil, again sure this leaches ammonia too which ends up as more nitrate. I’m certain your nitrates are too high. This was my issue and now I have a very good looking tank

Cheers Andy

Last edited:
Hi all,
and Chuck the old stuff out as by then it’s clumping together.
You don't need to chuck it, just dry it out and it should be fine. If it is still lumpy? run the bag over with a rolling pin.
Firstly I’ll say I don’t know how to work out ppm in dosing, is this a simple equation?
There is <"an equation">, but you may not consider it simple.
I have a couple of recipes for different things and i use aquarium plant foods starter pack and when 1 of the 4 bags run out, normally trace, I order a fresh pack
Job done.
And for newcomers to this hobby it can look very daunting.
That is why I like a <"complete fertiliser mix"> and the<"Duckweed Index">, you don't need to worry about the chemistry, just watch the plants*.

*Edit: I appreciate that some people (men) are <"red-green colour blind">, and this may add extra problems in assessing greeness.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back