• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap pressurised CO2 system DIY guide

Hello Guys,

I just joined because i really need some help. Im looking to set up my first co2 system. but i want it to be as cheap as possible. Ive looked around on the net for the last few days, but its all to confusing for me to grasp all the lingo etc. I can take the easy root and purchase a Fluval, JBL or simalar systems, but i like to try and do it for myself, so i can have self satisfaction. Plus the JBL/Fluval systems work out to expensive in the long run, and i dont want to be buying bottles every month or so.

All i want is a safe reliable system. NO FE or anything of the sort. Im afraid of things blowing up.lol

If like the original poster suggested, i purchased a co2 disposable bottle from

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... TC=SRC-co2

and then got a regulator from ebay like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Co2-Regulator ... 29fe3ae91d

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W21-8-14-Prec ... 4aaf256b01

or infact this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-Co2- ... 35b9dadf43

would that do the trick.

will these regulators fit the co2 bottle for example, will i need something else, are the thread sizes correct, are they safe? will i need and adaptor to fit the piping. do i need any needle valves etc. Plus how long will a bottle likle this last at 1 bubble a second for e.g. These are all the things that are confusing me at the moment.

If you guys have better suggestions please show me links as i just want to do this as easily as possible.(and cheaply)

You guys all seem helpful and friendly so i await your responses eagerly.

Thankyou

If you get the one darthpaul recommended then the needle valve will screw straight into it.

I don't think the paintball CO2 cartridges will fit the regulator as the threads are different, the threads on the regulator are imperial and the paintball cartridge are metric.
Also the paintball cartridge is 88g for £5.10 + delivery and the clarke bottles are 600g for about £12 + delivery, In short the Clarke ones will last longer (almost 7 times longer) and if you can't afford to buy them in a 3 pack you can get them one at a time from machine mart.
There will be other retailers but machine mart will save you having to buy online, there's bound to be a one nearby if you are in the uk.
You should be able to use other paintball cartridges as long as you get the thread right, you may even be able to get a refillable one.
The thread for the cartridge needs to be 1/8" if you get the regulator recommended by darth.

Thanks for a great walk through.

Reading through this thread I'm pretty clear on what I would need (I think)! However with all the additional links and comments I have one question:

Is there actually a regulator that fits the welding bottles with a Pressure Manometer?

Is this Weld UK one:

http://www.welduk.com/Details.asp?ProductID=417

Or is there a connector that allows you to use for instance one of the FE regs or a normal aquatic co2 reg?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Phil

It's hard to say mate, personally I would contact the supplier and ask, or even mail him/her a picture of the disposable bottles you intend to use, the disposable bottles are a 1/8" male thread.
There is a probably a bush or fitting that will allow you to convert it to fit an FE, but you have take into account the pressures that the regulator would have to cope with, i dunno what these are tho tbh.
If you go for an FE setup try to follow Thems' instructions as closely as possible.

Cool beans, so ive gone ahead and placed orders for all the parts i need. am just waiting for them to arrive.
So Thankyou very much for all those that could help.

Im not gonna have fish in this tank yet, so do i need to go through a cycle first before introducing plants or can i just go straight ahead and plant away. also i noticed that most small tanks/nano tanks dont have visible heaters. do i need a heater? In one of the Ukaps featured scapes the aquascaper states his water is unheated.

Thanks again!

I'm no expert on the aqua stuff yet, I just happen to know a bit about gas.

There is loads of info on the site tho and I mean loads.
I'd have a look through if I were you and see if you can find the answers, if you can't get the info your looking for I'd start a new thread explaining what I'm doing, what I have and what I hope to achieve.
Try and post in the relevant parts of the forum for best results tho.
Journals mite be a good place to start

Good luck :thumbup:

Sam,

could you please give me some leads, where I could find a converter that will allow me to use a fluval regulator /for disposable bottles 88 gr/ on refillable bottle,

Thanks in advance!

BooneyInc said:
:thumbdown: booo to your poor unhelpful reply.

This comes across as a bit rude. Did I miss something and you were joking ? I hope so because the guys on this forum are incredibly helpful :)

Anyway, in answer to your questions... You don't need to cycle. In fact it would be better to plant straight away, and plant heavily too. The more plants the better. They will help your cycle. Do large water changes (50%) every couple of days for the first 2 weeks then reduce that over the next few weeks until you are doing 50% a week by about 6 weeks.

You could do with a heater unless the tank is in a room that remains at an acceptable level for the plants you intend to grow. I would say really you should have a heater, and you can get thin flat ones for nano tanks for under £20. Hope this helps.

Antoni said:
Sam,

could you please give me some leads, where I could find a converter that will allow me to use a fluval regulator /for disposable bottles 88 gr/ on refillable bottle,

Thanks in advance!

Aquaessentials used to stock it and aquatics online, Charter House also i think. You're looking for a D&D thread convertor.

Sam

Back