• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap pressurised CO2 system DIY guide

so it uses the same connection on the solenoid as a normal 6mm tube would?

also from your pics would the solenoid not connect directly to the regulator if the gauge was removed? it looks like the thread on the solenoid is the same size?

Thanks for the pics and info. I nearly got all my parts for the same price as that one connector. lol.

I could just connect the reg and solenoid with tube but wouldn't be as neat.

duddy1985 said:
so it uses the same connection on the solenoid as a normal 6mm tube would?

Certainly does apart from an "O" ring that sits just behind the nipple - "O" ring is supplied.

Regards
paul.

Arthur

It is hard to determine "How" long 600g of Co2 will last - its all down to what you plant requirement which is an unknown quantity. I have a 20 litre tank, current injection rate 1 bps and a 500g bottle last approx. 8 months so I think 600 g will last a bit long, you would be better off buy a bigger bottle.

Regards
paul.

Taking into account that i've never dealt with CO2 before as my 90 litre tank is being prepared and I'm looking for a reasonable CO2...out of curiosity asked how long would this 600g cylinder last. I guess it would last 3-4 months for 90 litre...something like that anyway :)

Chaps other question I have: does one have to use a special co2 tubing or can I use an air pump silicone airline tubing? I heard some people say that special CO2 tubing needs to be used...is it true?

Thanks!

I go through a 600g cylinder of CO2 on my 60lt in five weeks. But it is an open top tank and surface agitation is quite high so that will increase the amount I have to pump into the tank.

Yes you need to use CO2 tubing, air line tubing gets degraded by CO2 apparently. Its not cheap, but the best tubing Ive seen is the JBL stuff, if you can find a supplier. I find a lot of the other tubing is quite stiff and difficult to get onto the diffuser.

Sam

Just jumped right in and bought the entire lot :)

Now, i have to wait and then get down to machine mart to get the gas

The waiting begins :(

hi sorry if this is gay, but i have a jbl 2 pro flora co2 system. i heard a story about using calor gas co2 bottles from garages. A 3kg is 15 squid, but u have to take 120 grit wet/dry sandpaper to the regulator to make the o-ring fit!!! This sounded abit mickey mouse to me!! has any one else heard this or is anyone else doing this?? i told my local fish shop about this and he ( who is a bit of a !?*!, one of this people who has or done it bigger and better than everyone ) said he heard of this and he uses a diving bottle!

Harkle420 said:
hi sorry if this is gay, but i have a jbl 2 pro flora co2 system. i heard a story about using calor gas co2 bottles from garages. A 3kg is 15 squid, but u have to take 120 grit wet/dry sandpaper to the regulator to make the o-ring fit!!! This sounded abit mickey mouse to me!! has any one else heard this or is anyone else doing this?? i told my local fish shop about this and he ( who is a bit of a !?*!, one of this people who has or done it bigger and better than everyone ) said he heard of this and he uses a diving bottle!

Some of the old JBL regs were designed slightly larger so they would only fit JBL cylinders. I've heard of people filing down the edges so they fit all cylinder makes, but never done it myself. The newer regs I understand are smaller and fit all standard cylinders.

Sam

thanks for the info!!! I have had my co2 for a few years so it is more than likely a old style, just my luck!! I have to drive 40 miles to find a shop with jbl bottles on the shelf. my local shop will refill my bottle but it takes a week!!

Harkle420 said:

Hey Guy,s just installed this system but i have issues and need some help. When i turn on the regulator at the bottle i get gas coming out for about 1-20mins and then it stops....to get it started again i have to turn of the regulator and reopen it and then it does the same again and again....

Its very frustrating, can anyone help me?

If it helps its a 390g disposable cylinder from Halfords, and the regulator was the one linked on the first page.

Johno2090 said:
Hey Guy,s just installed this system but i have issues and need some help. When i turn on the regulator at the bottle i get gas coming out for about 1-20mins and then it stops....to get it started again i have to turn of the regulator and reopen it and then it does the same again and again....

Its very frustrating, can anyone help me?

If it helps its a 390g disposable cylinder from Halfords, and the regulator was the one linked on the first page.

I had the exact same problem when I started using disposible bottles. Was driving me up the wall, I tried a second bottle, I even bought a second regulator, but had the same issue. I eventually worked out I was screwing the regulator onto the bottle too tightly, try loosening it a quarter turn and see if that improves things.

Thanks for the replys guys, i will loosen it a quarter turn :) and your right its driving me up the wall too!

Back