• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap lighting for 4ft low tech tank?

Hope someone can help. I've a 4ft wide tank about 30-40cm of water height, so not too deep. Probably about 180-90litres of water.

It came with just a single t8 controller at 18watts or so. So probably not very good, though the tank still looks bright when turned on!

I would like a low cost low maintenance tank. So crypts, amazon swords, no co2 injection, some ferts.

I'd like to get twisted vals and dwarf sag growing too ideally.

What options are there very cheap? I'm talking £50 or so ideally.

If nothing, would DIY house light sockets work if sealed in a suitable waterproof container??

What have you decided on using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't see the newer responses. I went with an
What have you decided on using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't see the newer responses. The $50 LED strips would have been great but you just can't get them for that price in the UK and it would probably cost too much to get exported and then redistributed in the UK (plus risk of import taxes)

I bought a couple of Ultra Slim 5W LED flood lights from ebay in the end similar to these (but 10w each)

http://www.energysavingonline.co.uk/20w-ultra-slim-led-floodlight-daylight-white

I got them for £10 together so a couple more pounds and I had to lengthen the ridiculously short power cord. All these types of lights have been pulled from ebay recently so I don't know if that's something to worry about but the lights work fine and I've not been electrocuted :)

It seems to be overall brighter than the single T8 lamp I had and I am getting some green algae! So maybe too much light? But I put in more plants to try to help compete against the algae.

Back