• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap/free lighting?

brumbird

Hey folks

Ive got a 54 litre tank that I am interested in trying as a Walstad ecosystem. Ive got.her book and am only on page 21 so very much finding my feet.

I love the idea of emergent growth but the tank is a bog standard Juwel with lighting in the hood.

Whats the best way to go about lighting this tank? Is sunshine enough? (in the UK - pah!)

Any advice would be so helpful thank you :)

Lol I was just looking at Edvets one perched on a corner! What sort of wattage should I go for?

You could always suspend the tank's lid somehow. I used a cheap clothes rail, but I don't know how much your lid weighs, so proceed with caution. There are various other methods of doing so, too.

You could just get a reading lamp and put a CFL bulb in it. You could wire up a 3xgu10 spot light to a plug £5 and stick it in a timer. Then screw the light into the wall about 0.5m above substrate. You could then get some 4-5w gu10 6500k led bulbs off of ebay. You can place the focal points of the spot lights where you like in the tank. If the lights end up to bright you can direct some of the light out of the tank, direct one bulb up to the ceiling or even take one bulb out.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow that banyan forest tank was beautiful. I love the idea of being so low tech, and the emergent growth looked so natural.

Right I'm going to have to google all these lighting suggestions - thanks ffor the advice!

If you want emergent growth too just get a couple of the clip on led ikea desk lamps. Lovely warm colour light and some serious spread for 3 watt. I used it on my emmersed planting and also on some of my low techs and shrimp tanks.

uzy5yvy5.jpg

That was just one spot focused but easily lit the tank if moved up

Like many, I miss that tank Alastair. Your new one is pretty special though :)

Like many, I miss that tank Alastair. Your new one is pretty special though :)

I know. I do too massively. I should have left it to run longer. Whats worse is I go out to the outhouse type garge thingy almost daily only to see it stood up against the side :(

Ok thanks Ender - makes sense if you are not providing high levels of eveything else then lots of light would create an imbalance.

Back