• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ceramic Glass Diffusers

Bertie

Hi,
At the moment I am using 2 large Bazooka Atomizers in my 180L tank.

Yet again I am having trouble after cleaning them.

I connected them this morning, at 06.15am, outside of the tank and placed them in jugs of water and switched on the co2.

Eventually the co2 came through and the bazookas were fizzing away. Then, as seems to be normal I was unable to adjust the bps and,the the bps stopped but the atomizers remained fizzing. It was impossible to adjust bps.

I turned the co2 off at about 0715am but still, now at 0830am the atomizers are still bubbling away and I assume this is because of the pressure build up in the bubble counter and lines.

I am thinking of replacing the bazookas with 2 x ceramic glass diffusers. I was thinking of two 3cm diffusers.
Would this be enough and would they work sufficiently enough in my 180L tank?

Also has anyone any recommendations of decent diffusers.

I will add that I have tried putting the co2 directly through the filter but the filter did not like that, with lots of burping and large amounts of trapped co2.

I also have 2 inline atomisers but since I changed filters to an APS 2000L the hosing is too large for my 16/22 atomisers

I am hoping that two glass diffusers will be enough to do the job.

Thanks

Hi Martin,
I have tried that method but I had terrible trouble with burping and large amounts of co2 coming out of the spraybar every 10mins or so!

Hi Bertie

I've just got a ceramic diffuser in my tank underneath the filter inlet, I haven't suffered with any gas build up in the filter (Eheim Ecco 200) yet. My tank is a lot smaller than yours though. I notice in the Green Machine they don't need to put the diffuser under the inlet, even on bigger tanks, I suppose the more expensive diffusers must be better!

That is my thinking James but would hate to spend too much on something that may not work! I was thinking of two Gush 3cm diffusers but I am concerned that they would not be enough for my tank. It is annoying as at the moment I have the plants growing really well with over 99% clear of algae!

Just to be clear...my CO2 is NOT going through the filter, but direct to the tank and most of it is already dissolved before it even gets to my spray bar...seems strange that it would work with this simple construction while everyone is using a inline diffuser ....but I still have to see if it really works (my KH is to low to get a good PH reading so I am watching my plants and algae every day...:))

Just to be clear...my CO2 is NOT going through the filter, but direct to the tank and most of it is already dissolved before it even gets to my spray bar...seems strange that it would work with this simple construction while everyone is using a inline diffuser ....but I still have to see if it really works (my KH is to low to get a good PH reading so I am watching my plants and algae every day...:))
Right!! I understand now. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Incidentally my bazookas are up and running now but I feel I will have to have a re-think before they need cleaning again. ;)

Bertie , could I ask how you clean your Bazookas?
I have just started using one and I seem to have had to increase pressure to maintain the bubble rate,so it might be clogging.

How many diffusers you need seems to depend a lot on flow patterns. I am having more problems since I 'improved' my flow with spray bars back to front than I did with an internal Jewel filter sending the predominant flow top right to bottom left.
I noticed on Pedro Rosa's tank "green and grey" that he uses a Lilly pipe top right pushing water along the long axis of the tank and down over a single glass diffuser bottom left. I believe this is a large 120cm tank, and his results speak for themselves.

Bertie , could I ask how you clean your Bazookas?
I have just started using one and I seem to have had to increase pressure to maintain the bubble rate,so it might be clogging.
Hi Spnl,
I clean by soaking in a 70/30 mix of bleach and water for a few hours and then soak overnight in water with 5ml prime, not much water but enough to cover the atomizers
about 2x height,
I do not have experience of lily pipe but I use a full length spray bar along the back wall of my Jewel with 3 x 1.6 Newave circ pumps spread out and with the flow going the same way as the spray bar.
Hope this helps.

I use bazookas and they are great as the fine mist they give off is quickly absorbed into the water. I have a glass ceramic which is nowhere near as fine a mist (though it's not an expensive one.

I have found with the bazookas that if I clean them in near neat bleach for 30 mins ( why dilute it?) then rinse thoroughly and soak another 15 mins in sodium thiosulphate or any dechlorinator would do, they are then ready to use again.
As I alternate mine, using only one each time, I stick the one not being used on the outside of the tank to dry (somewhere near the bottom out of sight). I find drying them speeds up the time it takes for the mist to start again when connected. Each bazooka will only last 1-2 weeks I have found and should be cleaned in order to get full efficiency.

A couple of things are important with bazookas. They need a min of around 3 bar pressure to work properly, also as they create quite a pressure within the tubing it is always wise to do a soap test to ensure no leaks to air especially if you have any joints in the CO2 pipe at all. Any leaks and they don't work.

This is just my take on them, hope it helps,

Harry.

Back