• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cave Environment - Infrared Photosynthesis - Bookshelf 6G

Well this project was put aside and I haven't made any more progress with it. I'm thinking about picking it up again, though. I have that top that I made special with the IR LEDs that runs well. My current new favorite idea is the Opea Ula shrimp, but using a small microbial wild field collection to start the algae and other biota in the tank. Do any readers here know anybody in Hawaii who might be able to (lawfully and ethically) get a small field sample with a trade or something?

As far as I can tell, near-infrared/infrared photosynthesis has not yet been described from the anchialine pools + lava cave systems, but I'd be willing to bet that's just because no researchers have gone to look yet. Either way the tank setup with one open end and the rest covered in darkness is a kind of a model for the ecosystem and Opea Ula habitat. They are adapted to survive inside the brackish caves as well as the surface pools and it would be interesting to see how they might use that area.

Here's something really interesting I ran into just tonight. This describes an anoxic deep sea benthos environment, so it doesn't really apply to this aquarium idea, but with microbes achieving photosynthesis strictly with thermal energy infrared.

Back