• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Catching shrimps?

MichaelJ

Anyone got a trick for catching / trapping shrimps in a very densely planted tank?

I have a crazy amount of Bee/Crystal shrimps in one of my tanks. I am going to pass them on to my LFS for free btw.

Cheers,
Michael

PS: Yes, I tried to ask Bubba Gump but they didn't reply. :)

I dismantled mine at the weekend to get all my Cherries. It took me hours and hours and a teeny-tiny net. I missed a day's feed and got a lo lt of them when they came for a spirulina lolly, you could try something like that if you don't need to get all of them?

Try using a fine Sieve/colander tied to fishing line. And place their fave food/treat item into it. Wait a few and lift them out into a bowl to sort them from.
I dismantled mine at the weekend to get all my Cherries. It took me hours and hours and a teeny-tiny net. I missed a day's feed and got a lo lt of them when they came for a spirulina lolly, you could try something like that if you don't need to get all of them?

Thanks for the ideas I think both will work but will obvious take quite a while.

I was thinking perhaps a miniature shrimp trap ruse... If anyone make such a thing.

1719005314809.png

Cheers,
Michael

You can make a shrimp trap out of a cut up plastic bottle. Cut the neck off and install in reverse. Lots of videos on youtube etc showing how.
This 👍🏻. Works really well with a small 500ml bottle. Just make sure you don’t leave the shrimp in too long as the decomposing food can cause a problem with the water quality inside the bottle. Left mine in for a day max in the past and they were ok

This 👍🏻. Works really well with a small 500ml bottle. Just make sure you don’t leave the shrimp in too long as the decomposing food can cause a problem with the water quality inside the bottle. Left mine in for a day max in the past and they were ok
Perfect. I am going to try that out!

Cheers,
Michael

Back