• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Caridina Shrimp and Dosing

Dominik_K

Hey guys,

I set up my new tank (128 l / 34 g) about 12 Days ago and I am currently planning the stocking of the tank.

What I currently think of looks like this:

From my old tank:
12 Ember Tetras
7 Otocinclus affinis
about 20 Red Cherry Shrimp

And I would like to add:
15 Paracheirodon simulans
10 - 15 Blue Bolt Shrimp

Now I am concerned about the Blue Bolt Shrimp since I dose TNC Complete on a daily basis (3 ml currently, but might increase that, once the plants are settled). I read a lot on the internet, ranging from "any no3 will kill all your caridinas" to tom barr "I tested 50 ppm on CRS with no issues and they are still breeding" (both no direct quotes ;) ).

Do you guys have any experiences on this topic?

Hi
There are multiple discussions on here regarding that topic.And indeed you will more likely get contradicting answers.
Dosing NO3 is ok for aquarium life.It is inorganic addition and doesnt affect the fish shrimp as organic NO3
which is more likely indicating previous NH3 spike which is indeed dangerous to your fish and shrimp.
Regards Konsa

Hi,

thanks for your reply. If i got you right, your opinion is, that the experience about Caridinas reacting poorly to NO3 is related due to the NH4/NH3 spikes (even those that can not be messured) that are needed to produce NO3 through nitrification? :)

That would be a great thing for me. Also lowering my CO2 to about 20 ppm at the moment since I noticed, a lot of bad experience are related to both, high NO3 and high CO2. Maybe the combination of both is a problem.

Hi
Testing using a hobby grade test kits is proven to be inaccurate as they are influenced by many things.
Yes U got me right organic high NO3(prodused trough nitrification ) is a clear sign of previous high amonia and nitrite gone unnoticed and wich are much more toxic to aquarium life.
There is much grater chance to kill your shrimp with the CO2 rather adding Branded aquarium fertiliser
Regards Konsa

Late to the party here, but if it were me, i would set up a dedicated shrimp tank for the blue bolts. These guys whilst not as fragile as their TB cousins are still not bulletproof, certainly they are not as near as tough as their Neo Caridina bros. I would be more careful adding any fert with bolts and I simply would not add carbo in any measurement where bolts are concerned. Unless you are financially covered to replace them, and not just one or twice.

If you want more info i can recommend Marks Shrimp Tanks on YT, he is a good source of info re keeping shrimp of neo and Caridina. Good luck!

Back