• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cardinal tetra ill

jbirley

Can some one please help me identify what is wrong with one of my cardinal tetras so i can decide on a course of action.

It is not eating has lost a lot of colour and is hiding all the time. He has a few white lumps on him but they look too large to me to be white spot? I could be wrong though as this is the first time any of my fish have been ill.

Sorry about the image quality i don't really have a suitable lens to get nice close ups of my fish
DSC_0066-1.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Joe

Possibly neon tetra disease, for which there is no cure. Cardinals are supposed to be resistant but I've had several...die...recover and then die...eventually. It's hard, but if it is neon tetra disease, it's important to isolate the infected individuals to save the rest...or at the very least ensure that dead fish are removed ASAP before they are eaten and the disease transmitted. Other symptoms eventually include erratic swimming, difficulty maintaining an even keel, and deformity of the spine.

Is this the disease that is prevented by soft, acidic water? I imagine raising the temperature helps too.
From experience of keeping rams (same natural environment), the water needs to be 28 degrees and brown like strong tea. I know neons and cardinals are probably tank bred, but I've never managed to keep rams any other way.

Sorry if that seems completely irrelevant.

Yeah it could well possibly be...but I also noticed that mine had similar cyst type growths that appeared to be large white spot spots...but weren't, unfortunately. But I could be very wrong though.

thanks for the input people, I have isolated it in its own tank for now i will check on it tomorrow .

Joe

Back