• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can our aquascapes be created in a pond?

Jaap

Hello,

Can someone create an aquascape in a pond with or without the use of CO2? For example can someone create an Eleocharis Parvula carpet in a pond?

thanks

Don't see why not :) Plants do manage to survive in 'the wild' without CO2 being pumped at them and someone rushing out with a sunshade at regular intervals!
Viewing would be tough, but then some tanks look pretty cool from the top and there are always snorkels :)

You'd have to pick plants carefully, so they'd survive in the temperatures/conditions they experience, native plants would be a good option. Maybe have a look at some biotopes for inspiration - they are often based on what you see in a pond or lake but then carefully scaped. It would be a good way to do a native biotope on a big scale. Eleocharis parvula is a UK native so would be a good option for a pond here. Eleocharis acicularis ( the bigger version) is often sold as a pond marginal.

Another thing to be careful of is some plant species are invasive, so make sure you aren't introducing anything to the outdoors that's banned or could be spread and cause problems.

Maybe he has a basement like this:

Sunken_Garden_Aquarium.jpg

;)

Don't see why not Plants do manage to survive in 'the wild' without CO2 being pumped at them and someone rushing out with a sunshade at regular intervals!
I have a feeling that the natural streams, most of the popular plants derive from, are in fact fully loaded with CO2 & the plants generally grow under dappled light caused from overhanging trees?

I have a feeling that the natural streams, most of the popular plants derive from, are in fact fully loaded with CO2 & the plants generally grow under dappled light caused from overhanging trees?
This is my experience, I can't speak for the UK as I've not spent much time on the rivers over here.
I'll also add that any where I saw plants growing in open water (lakes etc) they tended to be a couple of meters deep. Or a plant species that is a real weed and even then were often algae laden.

Shade's fairly easy to recreate (either adding tall plants outside the pond or lillies or floating plants. What's the mechanism for their high CO2 levels - is that something that can be recreated too?

Shade's fairly easy to recreate (either adding tall plants outside the pond or lillies or floating plants. What's the mechanism for their high CO2 levels - is that something that can be recreated too?
I wouldn't say they have high co2 just alot of gas exchange that keeps the co2 levels constant. Things like rapids, large shallow areas and a turnover measured in cubic metres a second all help

That makes sense. It's the wrong time of year now but maybe next spring it would be interesting to try out hairgrass. I've a pond with an approx 3m long 6" deep section with marginals in baskets. It would be easy to sink a tray of hairgrass and see how it did. Might be too shaded though as it tends to cover with duckweed, as it doesn't have as much circulation as the main pond.

Back