• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Camomba Question

critch

Hi Peeps,

I currently have two Camomba plants in my Q tank, and boy they are massive fill about quater of the tank,

i am looking at prunning them, and of course future prunning, i have read the A general guide to plant maintenance artical,
but am a little confused,

Now uproot the plant and measure the same length from the base of the roots and cut through the stem with sharp scissors. Retain and replant the top section. i usually plant three stems together with thin stemmed plants as it makes setting them in the substrate a bit easier. Try not to crush the stems when you push through the substrate, dig a hole with your finger and push the stems in the hole.

so do is discard the bottom section or replant ????

second bit

normally the bottom portion will regrow albeit looking a bit ugly for a while. you can use these if you are trying to propagate additional stems for the main group. I am doing this now as you see below.

so i am replanting both top and bottom right ???

Third bit
If you want your stem plants to branch out and fill a larger area then snip off the very top section and new growth will be diverted to side shoots further down the main stem

so if i do whats stated above, the cropped ones will restem out, and the tops will grow up ????

have i got all this right ???

critch said:
Now uproot the plant and measure the same length from the base of the roots and cut through the stem with sharp scissors. Retain and replant the top section. i usually plant three stems together with thin stemmed plants as it makes setting them in the substrate a bit easier. Try not to crush the stems when you push through the substrate, dig a hole with your finger and push the stems in the hole.

so do is discard the bottom section or replant ????

second bit

normally the bottom portion will regrow albeit looking a bit ugly for a while. you can use these if you are trying to propagate additional stems for the main group. I am doing this now as you see below.

so i am replanting both top and bottom right ???
It's your choice mate. If the plant has grown too much and is taking up too much space then just discard the bottoms because normally the bottoms will look a bit ugly as the article says. If in your case the bottoms still look nice then just discard the tops.

What you do with the trimmed sections depends on what you goal is. There is no requirement on way or the others. Some times you'd choose to plant the tops and discard the bottoms because you'd prefer to see the nice clean growth of the tops. At other times you'd choose to discard the tops because you're more interested in getting the bottoms to form new side shoots so that the overall look is bushier and less straggly. Or you could keep both top and bottom if you're more interested in propagating the plant and adding more plant mass to the tank. At various times in the evolution of your scape you'll make different choices based on the direction you're headed in.

critch said:
Third bit
If you want your stem plants to branch out and fill a larger area then snip off the very top section and new growth will be diverted to side shoots further down the main stem

so if i do whats stated above, the cropped ones will restem out, and the tops will grow up ????

have i got all this right ???
Correct! :clap:

Cheers,

Back