• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown stringy algae never ending.

Abarth_1200

My other tank has started to show the same algae as my community tank (1year running)

This new tank has been a flooded about 2 weeks, after giving up on dry start method for montecarlo, flooding seemed to have helped new growth but it's no where near creeping yet and it's so easy to dislodge from the substrate I'm thinking it's gonna get pulled out and binned. (8 weeks waste of wait.

Anyway before this brand new setup gets out of control I'm asking for advice, you can see the stringy brown hairs growing off sharp surfaces, mostly in high flow low down areas, possible not getting as much co2 but the dispersion looks good visible down to these low levels and flow is very good.

I have a high power light (Chihiros wrgb) at half power for 7 hours including ramp up and down. EI dosing with tnt complete. I also dose seachem flourish once a week, in the hopes this would have kept algae at bay. You can see I have a back wall of fast growing stem plants and I'm trying to nurture my frogbit so I have at least double.

Some leaves have surface of brown dust looking diatoms which I believe is down to being a new tank. It's more the stringy algae that appears in a couple of hours it seems

Should I reduce the lighting brightness and or duration, I really don't want to touch the co2 as I have heard messing with co2 causes lots of problems.

37EE6062-1F24-47F3-B147-DA9A368110B9.jpeg
D14D51C9-4B49-4F73-9FB3-0C3C247564A3.jpeg

Going off the pictures the plant health looks good. As it's the bottom of the tank debris might accumalate just keep removing daily if you can for now. Trimming encourges the carpet to spread and stay compact or it grows stem like. Someone else may advise on that. , some roots appear to be not properly rooted . Alter lighting slowly if you want to try that

Going off the pictures the plant health looks good. As it's the bottom of the tank debris might accumalate just keep removing daily if you can for now. Trimming encourges the carpet to spread and stay compact or it grows stem like. Someone else may advise on that. , some roots appear to be not properly rooted . Alter lighting slowly if you want to try that
Thanks, I agree there is good growth, and some roots are pulling out the substrate when I clean etc, hence why I'm hesitant to trim them as I'm not convinced they will all stay put.

Thinking about the lighting, if I lower the light levels I wonder if that will reduce plant growth and give the algae a chance to thrive. The algae is all at lower levels so I'm thinking it prefers lower light. Maybe I should increase lighting?

Back