• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown algae/light period advice ?

Well if you buy a big enough tank you could request to be buried in it on the ‘big day’ a bit like Snow White or Lenin the soviet leader and still take it with you! Obviously they’d need to remove the water prior to plonking you in as you don’t wanna encourage another diatom bloom! And you’d probably wanna mention it to the Mrs. about it first Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otos like to live as a group - I've five in my 70L - I'd have more but you do often lose a couple when they first arrive. I'd buy a few more than you want. Worst case you'll need to add a bit of food for them now and then so no hardship to have more than you need to eat algae.
5 ....what other tank mates?? .. i am always a bit on the lean side when it comes to fish....as I prefer a quieter set up...like to see shoaling in big tanks but really don’t want to over crowd my humble set up....
Chris...

Well if you buy a big enough tank you could request to be buried in it on the ‘big day’ a bit like Snow White or Lenin the soviet leader and still take it with you! Obviously they’d need to remove the water prior to plonking you in as you don’t wanna encourage another diatom bloom! And you’d probably wanna mention it to the Mrs. about it first Lol

Lol.....my Mrs puts up with a lot with me but she’s bonkers too.....so we both need locking up....anyway...wonder if i can talk her into an aquascaper 1800!! (In my dreams) my be for my 60th bd......!!! Ha ha....until then i am so wanting a 280-300 4 footer!....

Lol.....my Mrs puts up with a lot with me but she’s bonkers too.....so we both need locking up....anyway...wonder if i can talk her into an aquascaper 1800!! (In my dreams) my be for my 60th bd......!!! Ha ha....until then i am so wanting a 280-300 4 footer!....

I started with a 6 footer when I got into the ‘hobby’ on a serious note 2p years ago then went down to a five footer then a 4 footer and now I’m left with a Fluval F-90! So I’m buggered now if I wanna be buried in it as it only measures around 3 feet long and me being over six foot I ought to have retained my original mausoleum/tank for my departure over the rainbow bridge!

If i had the chance i would like 2 or three tanks... mainly planted.....i love the jungle type/natural the most....aquascapes are beautiful but sort of very clinical - great to see but somehow artificial (if there is such a thing when - all tanks are) ...i just feel at home watching my tank evolve....not without its problems....the sodding brown goo....on the whole though its something I don’t think i will every not do - if you know what i mean....sort of routine....daft as it sounds i get excited on the way home from work looking forward to seeing how the tanks doing....(this is sounding more and more like i am some weirdo! Lol) anyway....
Chris

Apparently this ‘hobby’ is a peaceful and relaxing pastime but I’ve only just started to see that after 20 years! I’ve learnt a lot over the past 2 years after experiencing every sodding issue under the sun/surface relating to this hobby but I got there in the end and indeed I do look forward to seeing my tank especially after a days graft at work. I’ve spent a a small fortune on this set up and my poor lounge laminate flooring bears witness to my bad experiences but with time I’ll compliment my lovely set up with some new solid oak flooring which ought to appease the other half so not all bad in the end!

5 ....what other tank mates?? .. i am always a bit on the lean side when it comes to fish....as I prefer a quieter set up...like to see shoaling in big tanks but really don’t want to over crowd my humble set up....
Chris...

At the moment just 7 ember tetra and a big fat ancient kuhli loach. The otos are quite chilled. They all gather for dinner in the evening and some mornings do some shoaling/wiggling when the sun hits that is fun to watch. The rest of the time they just shuffle about eating and aren't necessarily too visible. I'm thinking of adding some Habrosus cories to the bottom - some of the otos are meant to hang out with corys in the wild - but LFS hasn't had any in stock for months :(

Yes thats same here but next week all being well going to a well rated shop ....hopefully they will have stock...cheers

Just back from the garden centre run with mrs.....they had otto’s but i could not buy as we were out for the day and not good for the little chaps !!! But i know where to buy - Brookfield’s Nottingham area....
Anyway bought a circ pump Oase 500ltr - very happy - silent and really gets the flow going!! Hopefully short light period and extra flow should get things back on track......

You know, if I had known about all this being too much light, I wouldnt have upgraded my lighting. A few years since when I was on the forum it seemed as if everyone was saying you didnt have enough light. Im not criticising, dont get me wrong, when I ask and people make suggestions, I make adjustments.

Back