• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Broken Filter

srm1973

Woke up this morning to find the filter on my tank wasnt working, taken it apart and cleaned it but still not working, ive only had it 2 months so the shop i got it from will replace it, only problem is this will take about 2/3 days as it was an online shop

I only have and airstone with pump, and also a small submersible aquarium pump at the moment, i have a 220l tank, will my fish be ok for a few days? Will the bacteria die off on the filter media from the broken filter?

Hi Srm

What type of filter is it make and model would be helpful?

Dose it make any nose at all is it trying to pump?

Have you checked the fuse?

If its making nose but not pumping any water try taking the impeller housing apart check that its possible there's something blocking the impeller or the ceramic shaft has broken if it has one

If it has just stopped and it not the fuse don't mess with it anymore pack it all back in the box and go straight back to were you got it from and demand a exchange ASAP don't leave till you get one if they not got that model in stock demand they sort something out to the same value.

If you have an air stone and bubbler keep this going till you can get the new filter back this will keep o2 levels up stop fish gasping if 02 levels get to low while your out

And for the filter media keep this in a bucket of tank water till you get back with the new filter and just stick in the filter just before you start it.

Thanks for the reply,Its a biopro filter. Cheap ebay job, its completely dead! Changed fuse but still dead

I do have a small sponge filter which I have attached to airline
Unfortunately as shop is online I can't replace it straight away

You could also "convert" the air pump and some sponge into a workable filter. Theres some info either here or on web about doing this... needs only a few rubber bands and some straws/airline tubes...

I would also cover the media by a sponge, and run a powerhead or pump through it so as to keep the bio filteration alive, and help the tank, instead of simply keeping the media in a separate bucket...

hope you find the replacement soon...

-niru

That's a bit of a problem if you can afford it try get to LFS and get a cheap one if this is not an option and you got to wait till you get a refund/exchange from eBay then 20/50% water change every day will keep on top of the nasty till you can get the new filter.

How big is the tank and how many fish you got stocked in it has it got a lot of plants?

Have quite a lot of plants, tank is lightly stocked with fish

Back