• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

bouncing some ideas around

Etherelda

Hello all,

I picked up a superfish 40l cube
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/superfi ... -3779.html
for £35 at my local garden centre, It was the last one, with no damage, so I couldn't walk away, and now that I am free and single, I have no one to say 'no, you can't have another tank'.

I'm thinking of a black substrate, with perhaps albino corys, quite simple planting, but a carpeted area that is cory proof, and a 'beach' area for them to snuff around in. A few white stones. Kicked myself for not picking some up whilst camping in the lake district a few weeks back, I was right next to a large river, with no flow due to the lack of rain.

OR could go for white substrate, and black Venezuelan corys, but does white substrate show up the dirt more? I know it does on my 2ft that has play sand, but I don't notice it as much, it gets hoovered one a week. The manado in the 4ft, can't see any of the grime, and that doesn't get hoovered at all, the detritus aids the plants.

I'm after contrasts you see white, black, green. I'm not sure if the light is a T8 or t5, haven't had a good look, but my dad is in china again, so getting another light wouldn't be an issue. It will have co2. Just got to get some more diffusers. Its got an internal filter, but might get a little external.

Can anyone point me in the direction of setups using black substrates, for inspiration,

Other tanks I rushed into without thought, but this one, I am doing my research first, then going to slowly set up. There is no hurry apart my enthusiasm.

Over the next two weeks I've got to move my 4ft, 2ft and orb from my ex's place, 5 miles down the road to my new gaff(at my dads). He is keen to have the tanks, i've just planted his 2ft up, so it will be a 5 tank house!!! What have I let myself in for!!! 3 tanks with co2, and 2 without.

Oh well!

Veeeery interested in anyone showing setups with black substrate. There's *one* that I've noticed early on in the 2009 winners of the Aquascaping competition - it got silver, I think. I'll try to dig it out later.... I fell in love with the UniPac Limpopo Black Sand that I saw when at TGM the other day and have been breaking my head trying to think of stunning aquascapes that could be done with black sand rather than the (super expensive) ADA Nile sand... I think it would go very well indeed with some panda cories or the 'dainty cories' (can't remember their official title, but they look stunning) Also shows up other fish better. Allegedly.

so - will try to find the scape I've seen online, and dead curious to know what others think...

Sorry, the only 2009 results I can find is buried in a massive pdf file... It's in the book, tho', if you happen to have it as nightly bedtime reading...:)

oh, well don't worry,

I've had a look round my lfs yesterday, they have some sand, does look sharp but some people are divided on the whole cory/sharpness issue, some say its the sharpness, some say its the cleanliness. They shouldn't dig down enough that if I had a fert soil bottom layer it would be disturbed. Either that or go down the ADA amazonia route, but at the mo, I am seriously --££. Better start saving my pennies! Or selling my frogbit.

Must get round to moving the other 3 tanks out of my ex's house first! I must get some pics before I turf the plants up, even though i'll empty most of the water, and leave just it to the level of the substrate when moving, I reckon they'll end up being turfed around, so need replanting.

IS ADA Amazonia supposed to be Cory-safe?

In that case, presumably Columbo Flora base is too? (and it's cheaper...):)

Neither are I'm afraid. Yes you can keep corys while using them but they like to grub around and that releases ammonia into the watercolumn, they're also likely to uproot any fine leaved plants.

sooo - already I need a spare tank to be the 'Cory tank' with lots of deep rooted things and endless black limpopo sand. Oh, this is going to go down *so* well with my OH... :)

m

Back