• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blyxa Japonica - Problem

Mark Webb

My Blyxa Japonica is not looking good. Plants are growing away from the substrate so that they are suspended holding on by the fine roots. Now starting to break free and float.

I have it in a 60cm with Twin T5 Luminaire on for 6 hours per day. Dosing 1ml TPN daily and Water Change weekly.

Using Pressurised CO² on 2 hours before lights and off 2 hours before lights off.

OK I will give that a go. They are losing a few leaves so I thought maybe something was lacking. Does Blyxa always grow in this way?

Well no, but it is prone to snapping under its own weight if not maintained. Remember too, its a stem plant, so trimming the top will encourage bushier growth as two plants grow from the node under the cut. All this will add weight, so you might be better off replanting the top section and discard the base.. I had to redo this about three times in Without Foundation. Worth the extra effort though :)

JamesM said:
Well no, but it is prone to snapping under its own weight if not maintained. Remember too, its a stem plant, so trimming the top will encourage bushier growth as two plants grow from the node under the cut. All this will add weight, so you might be better off replanting the top section and discard the base.. I had to redo this about three times in Without Foundation. Worth the extra effort though :)

Thanks James, my stems are all quite short but I will try that. I like your Without Foundation, very nice. The Blyxa looks great.

JamesM said:

James, this Blyxa in your tank is awesome. I wish i could have the same. Do i need to throw in some magic bricks from your garden to make it work? :lol:

Back