• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Birds

A couple year's back ,boiler's at work would not run due to poor draft through chimmney.
I could fire the boiler's each day but within an hour they just shut down.
Began trouble shooting and noticed that the duct work that vented through the chimmney was too hot to touch(not normal).
Called the maint dept for help, and while waiting outdoor's and smoking a cigarette,,I happened to hear commotion,looked up,,and saw easily a couple three hundred chimmney swallow's flying in and out of the chimmney.
Appear's they had created numerous nest's inside the chimmney during warm month's and had effectively clogged /choked the ability of the chimmney to create draft for air fuel mixture.
The oddest thing to me,,,was the crow's and one Perigen (sp)) Falcon, snatching the chimmney swallow's out of the air as they exited the chimmney.
Had never seen crow's take other bird's, and had wondered what the falcon was doing downtown (had seen it a few moth's earlier) when but a mile to the east ,was river and field's where these bird's normally were found.
Had to hire outfit with crane to come clean the nest's from wall's inside the chimmney.
I helped also by shooting off approx a dozen Roman candles in clean out area at base of chimmney (small door inside boiler room).
My firework's display,ultimately set off smoke alarm's inside boiler room and fire dept was not nearly as amused as I was when bird's came out of the chimmney in hoardes.
After cleaning the chimmney,,a screen was placed over the top to prevent re-occurence.

Lucky you then, that link says there's only 1-2 pairs of bramblings breeding in the UK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back