• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Biomaster vs ehiem pro 5

bengill

I currently have a biomaster thermo 600 but the flow is lacking somewhat. I've done the usual pre filter mod and clean thoroughly often but I've has to add a biomaster 250 onto my 90p as was getting quite a few dead spots leading to algae.

I'm planning on rescaping in the near future but was looking to upgrade the filter prior to doing this. The biomaster 850 is too tall for my cabinet so was looking at the professional 5e 600t.

Bit of a long shot but does anyone have any experience with both filters? The accessible pre filter doesn't bother me as much as integrated heating and flow.

Have you considered just using a powerhead to supplement flow around your tank, you don't necessarily need masses of filtration in a planted tank. I use a AI Nero 3, it is capable of moving a large volume of water without creating a vortex and is programable for both time and power percentage. I'm sure there are other brands equally as good though.

I’d go for a power head too; it’s the cheapest way to test the theory that dead spots are causing algae 👍

I am coming to the conclusion that @bazz and @castle are correct about the benefits of separating filtration from the flow.

I don't think you need a high turnover for good filtration (instead good media and high surface area), but you do need to do something for a planted tank - and that is not something that the Oases will do as effectively as a power head type device.

Have you considered just using a powerhead to supplement flow around your tank, you don't necessarily need masses of filtration in a planted tank. I use a AI Nero 3, it is capable of moving a large volume of water without creating a vortex and is programable for both time and power percentage. I'm sure there are other brands equally as good though.
I’d go for a power head too; it’s the cheapest way to test the theory that dead spots are causing algae 👍
I am coming to the conclusion that @bazz and @castle are correct about the benefits of separating filtration from the flow.

I don't think you need a high turnover for good filtration (instead good media and high surface area), but you do need to do something for a planted tank - and that is not something that the Oases will do as effectively as a power head type device.
I prefer to have as little "tech" in the tank as possible, so I think a power head would be my absolute last option. The 2 oases did stop the dead spots around the the scape however the 2 pairs of lily pipes did annoy me slightly 🤦‍♂️🤣
Another option is to fit a Biomaster 850 head to your existing 600.
This could be a viable option I hadnt thought of though. The filter turn over for me isn't a worry as opposed to just an increase in flow and circulation around the tank

The 2 oases did stop the dead spots around the the scape however the 2 pairs of lily pipes did annoy me slightly 🤦‍♂️🤣
Yep, it does clutter up, the place a bit for sure!

The positive thing about the 850 head (minus cost and cost of spares) is that 50% more power than the 600, and it has 25% more max head height, too. You are more likely to get more turnover in the same position of your filter (based on raw math) using the 850. The 850 also has a rather sexy-looking impeller compared to 250/350 and 600!

I have an 850 on my 260l heavily stocked and fully planted tank.. it's high tech but managed for 3 years with just the one filter and additional power heads. Weekly 50% water changes and regular filter cleans kept it at bay l, but the tank definitely needed a clean weekly.

I've added an eheim pro 4 600 to run alongside the biomaster around a month or two ago... All I can say is now I've removed all power heads and skimmers and just have the two filters. The water is staying much cleaner for longer and the pre filters not showing much dirt since I've done it. Also I have really good flow around the tank everywhere, with a gentile sway on all plants throughout.
The eheim is much more powerful and quieter, however the biomaster is built better and not as flimsy. Be careful with the flow adaptors with the eheim, if they are similar to the 4s then they can snap as they are just plastic cogs and handle and become brittle easily.

The positive thing about the 850 head (minus cost and cost of spares) is that 50% more power than the 600, and it has 25% more max head height, too. You are more likely to get more turnover in the same position of your filter (based on raw math) using the 850. The 850 also has a rather sexy-looking impeller compared to 250/350 and 600!
I'm gonna look into this too see how much a 850 head will be! Certainly makes more sense rather than buying a complete new filter at an eye watering prices for the 5e 600t 😷 all for the sake of extra flow around the tank!

I have an 850 on my 260l heavily stocked and fully planted tank.. it's high tech but managed for 3 years with just the one filter and additional power heads. Weekly 50% water changes and regular filter cleans kept it at bay l, but the tank definitely needed a clean weekly.

I've added an eheim pro 4 600 to run alongside the biomaster around a month or two ago... All I can say is now I've removed all power heads and skimmers and just have the two filters. The water is staying much cleaner for longer and the pre filters not showing much dirt since I've done it. Also I have really good flow around the tank everywhere, with a gentile sway on all plants throughout.
The eheim is much more powerful and quieter, however the biomaster is built better and not as flimsy. Be careful with the flow adaptors with the eheim, if they are similar to the 4s then they can snap as they are just plastic cogs and handle and become brittle easily.
Thanks for the comparison! It's a shame the eheim aren't as well built as you say because they do look a great filter and the flow is unmatched vs the oase. Definitely swaying away now slightly as the cost of them is crazy if they're not built for the job!

I'm gonna look into this too see how much a 850 head will be! Certainly makes more sense rather than buying a complete new filter at an eye watering prices for the 5e 600t 😷 all for the sake of extra flow around the tank!
£80 to £100 is about the mark, depending on where you shop.

Have a look, this is when mine went and what a nightmare it was. Several people have messaged me after with the same fault. The noise and flow are unmatched from the Eheims... They do have a good customer service and aftersales care.. however doesn't help if the adaptor is stuck in the filter, with no way of removing it lol.
Hard choice, but this put me off Eheims for good

The noise and flow are unmatched from the Eheims... They do have a good customer service and aftersales care.. however doesn't help if the adaptor is stuck in the filter, with no way of removing it lol.
Hard choice, but this put me off Eheims for good
To be honest, I have had recurring issues from Oase with the filter inlet/outlets developing a fault, and you have to replace - leaking like mad until you do replace. (I always keep a spare inlet/outlet head now).

I think the moral of the story is that they all have their pluses and minuses, it's a case of choosing your poison. :D

Yeah I've seen the issues with the inlet adaptor with oase, quite a few recently on this forum but touch wood.. I've never had that happen. I do have a spare one just in case though.

Back