• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BGA, Shrimp and Nitrates...

Emyr

Hello,

I am struggling with the relationship between these three (BGA(Cyanbacteria)Shrimp, Nitrates)

I have a small BGA problem which went away for a while but has now come back and I am trying to remove it and kill it off through various techniques.

One of the ways is to increase my nitrates because they may have been a little low for my planted tank according to a lot of people. They were on 5ppm or less. I have raised them that to around 10ppm by dosing a little more often.

However I also keep Sakura shrimp and Im looking to get a few more shrimp like some Blue tigers, CRS and black bees quite soon. The Sakura's at the moment seem to have gone into hiding at the back of the tank, not sure if this is normal or not?

I have seen threads that people have kept shrimp in conditions with high nitrates in a planted tank. Surely tanks like this one I have linked below dose a lot of nitrates but they also have high grade CRS in there as well?

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... l=0&id=130

Any thoughts or opinions would be great.

Thanks.

I have fires and I have many many many of them, see the 120 Gallon Dutch something or other thread, I dose 15ppm 3x a week of NO3. I might have 500-800 in there?

I cull 50 a week.

You do not have the EM option in the UK easily, we do, which is somewhat unfortunate.

Cyan bacteria is killed very efficiently by ADA Bacter 100 additive. If you can buy that all you have to do is sprinkle it over the infected areas.
High nitrates (10ppm) are not a problem for CRS or any other shrimp as far as I know. I have around 300 CRS in my 330L tank. I add a lot of NO3, PO4 and ferts and the shrimps keep breeding like a plague.

Emyr said:
I have never heard of using Bacter 100 before. Sounds possible, I may give it a go. Do you know how it kills it? what is in the bacter 100 that does the job? Great, Thanks.
ADA states that it is made out of many different bacterial cultures, more than 100. That is why they call it Bacter 100. I can not say if this is truth or not. I have used Bacter 100 and it does kick the crap out of Cyan bacteria. The other extremely efficient algae killer from ADA is Pyton Git, but I am not sure if it will have much effect on Cyan bacteria. It wipes out any king of BBA. Perhaps both of those will solve your problems on a long term.

Back