• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BGA - How does my hypothesis sound?

I think Paulo was on to something. I came across this thread as a potential reason why my MC was persistently growing upwards. At 16x flow rate NOT including filter media and hoses etc I just had way too much. You could argue plants see more flow in natural systems but the species may have adapted to certain niches in flow pattern (between rocks or in lower current areas). Most being submerged only 50% of the time or less due to seasonal water level changes would place less stress on leaf uptake of leaf nutrients etc.

In a glass box of fairly uniform flow there is just no escape. I don't suppose a small foreground plant grown at smaller depths in the wild is subject to large amounts of flow?

Could my flow have been causing mechanical stress and decreasing nutrient absorption? Flow is good no doubt but there has to be such thing as too much. Just looking at my MC dancing violently in the flow was enough to make me turn it down to just above 50%.

Time will tell.

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/is-too-much-flow-bad.33876/page-2

Back