• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BGA/Cyanobacteria Again... Help required.

Emyr

72 Litre
Rena XP4
JBL Pressurized, Ceramic disc, Lime green drop checker. 1bps.
X2 24 Watt T5's. X1 Original Tropical. X1 Plant Pro. - 8 Hours.
AquaFX 15W LED
Hydor 200W External
Hydor 1200 Powerhead
RO Water.
Seachem Flourite black and flourite black sand with a layer of ADA powersand underneath.
Dosing Seachem: Flourish, Iron, Excel, Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Trace.
30% Water Change every week.
Filter cleaned every week.

PH: 6.5-7ppm
Phosphate: 3-5ppm
Nitrate: 10-15ppm
GH: 8/143.2ppm
KH:6/107.4ppm

Hi Everyone,

Really having some trouble with this BGA that keeps returning. I did a three day blackout a few weeks ago, cleaned the filter sucked up all the dead stuff and did a 50% water change. It had all gone. Now it has returned. All over the Hairgrass again. I have increased the flow there and no difference. Wondering if its just the substrate. Im thinking about getting rid of it and getting some ADA aquasoil, Those tanks never seem to have any problems with it.

Anyone got any ideas or opinions on this one? :? Thanks.

Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Is the tank exposed to much natural light, especially hitting the substrate through the glass?

Most BGA starts from the substrate, then spreads above if the conditions allow.

You could also try dosing more NO3. Consider some KNO3 from our sponsors rather than the relatively expensive Seachem equivalent.

Depending on how thick your hairgrass carpet is, you could also re-plant that after a thorough clean...

Emyr said:
72 Litre
Rena XP4
JBL Pressurized, Ceramic disc, Lime green drop checker. 1bps.
X2 24 Watt T5's. X1 Original Tropical. X1 Plant Pro. - 8 Hours.
AquaFX 15W LED
Hydor 200W External
Hydor 1200 Powerhead
RO Water.
Seachem Flourite black and flourite black sand with a layer of ADA powersand underneath.
Dosing Seachem: Flourish, Iron, Excel, Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Trace.
30% Water Change every week.
Filter cleaned every week.

PH: 6.5-7ppm
Phosphate: 3-5ppm
Nitrate: 10-15ppm
GH: 8/143.2ppm
KH:6/107.4ppm

Hi Everyone,

Really having some trouble with this BGA that keeps returning. I did a three day blackout a few weeks ago, cleaned the filter sucked up all the dead stuff and did a 50% water change. It had all gone. Now it has returned. All over the Hairgrass again. I have increased the flow there and no difference. Wondering if its just the substrate. Im thinking about getting rid of it and getting some ADA aquasoil, Those tanks never seem to have any problems with it.

Anyone got any ideas or opinions on this one? :? Thanks.
Actually I have tanks with ADA soil and I have the BGA in the substrate line, but only there. It would not spread further. The best way to get rid of BGA that I have experienced is by applying Pyton Git from ADA combined with Bacter 100. Those are swift killers of BGA. In my previous scape I had some BGA at the beginning, but the Pyton Git and Bacter 100 kicked it in the ass.
Now with this scape I have it again, because the pots with Lilaeopsis were infected and I did not bother to clean them first.
There is also product from Easy Life called Blue Exit. I will try that one next week and will let you know what happens with it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

George, The tank is exposed to no natural sunlight as I keep the blind in the room completely closed now. I am considering changing to EI dosing at the moment, doing a bit of research into it. That is reassuring to know that Aquasoil also has BGA problems so I may not bother changing substrates.

Foxfish, Yes 63Watts over 72 Litres. I do not see your point?

I have tones of flow around the tank now. This blue exit sounds like a possible cure and I may try Squirting some Excel into it directly.

Back