• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best value for money substrate

whinnie

Hi all

i know this will be divided on opinion but could i get some ideas on the best "value for money" planting substrate, i get the impression that ada powersand topped with amazonia is about the best but its so expensive! opinions please

hey whinnie.

Your right in saying that the ADA substrates are suposed to be the best and the price matches, price has always put me off, will try in a nano soon though.
Eco complete and aquasoil are both easy products to work with and look pleasing.
Akadama is bonsai potting clay, about as cheap as you can get and seems to deliver good results.
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/akadama.htm

A good substrate is important but not the be all and end all. CO2, ferts, lighting and good maintenance in the right amounts are what will deliver success. Many people make perfectly beautiful tanks with just sand or gravel, but i would recommend using a decent substrate.

BigTom said:
Soil and a sand/gravel cap will actually do everything you need a planted substrate to do, and cost almost nothing. That's pretty good value if you ask me.

by soil you just mean day to day soil/compost?

Not sure its ideal for a beginner though Tom (i'm guessing your a beginner?) , i think to when i started i was replanting almost every few days and soil can be pretty messy if you playing around with the tank trying out new plants..... your bucket is testiment to how effective it can be though 🙂

easerthegeezer said:
Not sure its ideal for a beginner though Tom (i'm guessing your a beginner?) , i think to when i started i was replanting almost every few days and soil can be pretty messy if you playing around with the tank trying out new plants..... your bucket is testiment to how effective it can be though 🙂

im more virgin than beginner, havent even properly dabbled yet, just a little bit of foreplay looking at forums, have a tank and some fish but not much else, slowly building up the bits before i make a proper start

might consider tesco cat litter it seems to be a rather cheap alternative, i have aread a bit about putting certain salts etc under the substrate, can these be sourced cheaply online? again the ada ones look to cost a small fortune

Soil, but not if you plan to move plants around.

The second best option seems to be cat litter but it won't have any nutrients in to start.

easerthegeezer said:
whinnie said:
rebus said:
There's some good reading here on soil substrates if that's the way you want to go.

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18943

Stu.

thanks i'll add it to my mass of ukaps articles to read 🙂 theres so much info here its unreal

The secret of success is hiden away in threads on this forum... some of us are still looking for it :lol:

Ha ha that tickled me!
Plain old tesco cat litter with a bit of osmocote under for good measure works wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easerthegeezer said:
whinnie said:
rebus said:
There's some good reading here on soil substrates if that's the way you want to go.

Stu.

thanks i'll add it to my mass of ukaps articles to read 🙂 theres so much info here its unreal

The secret of success is hiden away in threads on this forum... some of us are still looking for it :lol:

i reckon ill have died of old age before i get all the info absorbed

I don't like to use power sand under AquaSoil substrate. The power sand looks awful when it pops up from the bottom (it usually happens when uprooting plants).

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Is osmocote cheap then? What exactly is it?

Osmocote is just a terrestrial plant fertilizer and is pretty much the same as root tabs you pay a fortune for. Comes in pellets which are like tabs or loose balls which can be used under a new substrate.
Its about £14 for a box that will last most people a lifetime.

Ah thanks. I see, just fertiliser tabs then?
I'll need a small amount for a 30L tank . Do they only sell big boxes? Where do you get it anyway?
Thanks,
Kris

Soil and a sand/gravel cap will actually do everything you need a planted substrate to do, and cost almost nothing. That's pretty good value if you ask me.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom on this, it works out about 30 - 40 times cheaper than Gucci substrates and is much more effective and will not become depleted of nutrients even after several years of vigorous plant growth. So in terms of best value for money it simply cannot be beaten.

Soil, but not if you plan to move plants around.

This is not strictly true, if you use a fine meshed gravel tidy or soil retainer between the soil and gravel you can scape and rescape to your hearts desire without disturbing the soil layer. The plant roots will naturally descend through the mesh and in to the soil below under the influence of gravity or geotropism.

i reckon ill have died of old age before i get all the info absorbed

There is a great deal of good info in this forum from many very experienced aquarists, the link below takes you to a tutorial that might help to put it all in to perspective, therefore, although it is by no means definitive, it is a good place to start.

It is really a beginners guide to the use of soil substrate, once the basic principles have been grasped it really is child's play and much easier to maintain and get good results than many other methods of achieving a beautiful planted tank (and enormously cheaper, ecologically sound, and carbon efficient); so there is no reason why even a virgin couldn't do well.

Stu.

Good luck, whatever substrate you decide to use.

Back