• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best time to water change?

Bigsilky

Hi,
What’s the consensus on when the best time to do water changes is? I’m in the first week of daily 50% water changes. Photoperiod is 10.30 - 18.30, Co2 running from 8.30 - 17.30. I did the first one last night after lights out, I didn’t want to mess about while the tank is saturated with co2. But I’m interested in what people’s opinion is on when to do this stuff. It’s not easy with the lights off lol.

Cheers

Hi,
What’s the consensus on when the best time to do water changes is? I’m in the first week of daily 50% water changes. Photoperiod is 10.30 - 18.30, Co2 running from 8.30 - 17.30. I did the first one last night after lights out, I didn’t want to mess about while the tank is saturated with co2. But I’m interested in what people’s opinion is on when to do this stuff. It’s not easy with the lights off lol.

Cheers
I prefer to do mine in the morning before I dose the tank with ferts and the co2 turns on.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

I prefer to do mine in the morning before I dose the tank with ferts and the co2 turns on.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
This is a brand new set up, only day 2 going into day 3. I’m water changing daily 1st week. Once I settle into a routine I think that make sense to do it before lights on. Thanks

good question.
i do mine in the morning as well.
but i do remember on set up doing it every day after work for a week etc. the great thing about doing this is that its like training. i got so good at a nippy WC no probs!

good question.
i do mine in the morning as well.
but i do remember on set up doing it every day after work for a week etc. the great thing about doing this is that its like training. i got so good at a nippy WC no probs!
Well, I spent all my money on tank gear and neglected to get a small pump to do water changes with… my mixer tap is too hit and miss with temp so can’t run a hose direct. Currently I’m hand balling jugs back into the tank 😂😂😂🤦‍♂️ got a pump and some tubing coming tomorrow 🥵

Once I get it down to weekly or whatever on the fresh start regime of daily wk1, every other day wk2 etc. I’ll do it in the morning at the weekend. 💪💪

Hey there
I do mine when I have time but often that is about 2 - 3 hours before photoperiod ends and 5 - 6 hours after ferts dosing . Also it’s very close to the end of CO2 injection.
My only concern is to do it either before dosing ferts or after good few hours after dosing ferts.
Cheers

Hey there
I do mine when I have time but often that is about 2 - 3 hours before photoperiod ends and 5 - 6 hours after ferts dosing . Also it’s very close to the end of CO2 injection.
My only concern is to do it either before dosing ferts or after good few hours after dosing ferts.
Cheers

Hey! Interesting, I’m new to co2 and it didn’t make sense to me to remove co2 saturated water, but if it’s close to end of co2 injection then I guess it doesn’t really matter. I’ve got a lot to learn about how co2 works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! Interesting, I’m new to co2 and it didn’t make sense to me to remove co2 saturated water, but if it’s close to end of co2 injection then I guess it doesn’t really matter. I’ve got a lot to learn about how co2 works.

Well I do really enjoy doing maintenance on my tank so I take my time and it takes me roughly 2-3h once a week on 160L tank (despite my wife moaning about how long it takes me 😀)
So because CO2 saturation is important only during photoperiod that’s why I tend to do maintenance at the end of it. By the time I finish it’s already time for light to turn off.

TBH I think it’s not so important when we do it if we don’t do it every day. It’s important that CO2 level is consistent from day to day and during the day and I could not observe any ill effects when it is inconsistent just once a week. Correct me if I’m wrong but it takes week or two for plants to switch to different CO2 levels. So one day is nothing IMO.

I think the consensus is to do it before co2 and light period and I have seen, better results since I switched to do wc in the morning

Great thank you! I’ll switch to morning once my wc schedule slows down. Appreciate the advice.

Would be to early for me, mine starts at 8am 😁
Currently I’ve got co2 on at 08:30 and lights on at 10:30. So I’d be cutting fine too lol.. but I may move the photo period a little later in the day at some point. The mrs is struggling to get used to the rainbow prism effect on everything in the living room from the twin star 450s. So I have lights off in the evening when she’s sitting nearby… for now 😂

Changing water is like exercising. There may be small benefits to one time or another, but the real trick is showing up and doing them consistently. Better to work them into your schedule as painlessly as possible so they actually get done.
Ya, I’ve got no issue doing them. What I was wondering is when in the day is the best time to do it with regards to co2 dosing, ferts, photoperiod. New tank doing water changes daily, I’ve been doing them about an hour after photoperiod and 2hr after co2 ends. Ideally I’d like to do them while the lights are on but then I’m removing co2 saturated water. I’m new to this, hence why I’m asking when is the best time to do a water change during any one day. Either daily or weekly or whatever. Cheers

Changing water is like exercising. There may be small benefits to one time or another, but the real trick is showing up and doing them consistently. Better to work them into your schedule as painlessly as possible so they actually get done.

+1 to this - the best time to change water is when it is most convenient for you to do it, otherwise you simply won't stick to the schedule long term and will end up missing water changes.

Water changes are essential, but lets be honest, they're a complete PITA. I set stuff up to automate all mine, as I know full well I'd never end up being consistent with them otherwise.

9 times out of ten I do mine in the last 1 1/2 half hours of the photoperiod after CO2 has switched off so as I can see what I'm doing in the tank i.e. cleaning the glass, removing any organic debris from the substrate surface, removing any senesced leaves etc... Occasionally when a visit to the pub interferes with the routine I will do it the following morning before lights on but I'm then restricted to water change only and filter maintenance if required.
EDIT.. I should have said 'CO2 on' rather than 'before lights on'.

Last edited:
Back