• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best gravel for a Nano tank

Frederick

Hi all... I am a very new newbie to a Nano tank. The one in question is a 25ltr. Now which type of gravel should I use and should I also install a substrate as I intend to heavily plant the tank for Cherry shrimps etc. I am one of the old school and have never used a substrate as I have heard that it must be replaced every year.
I would appreciate help and advice as to what gravel I shoulduse and also if neccessary what substrate. As a side issue what plants do the forum think I should use.
Help will be very much appreciated..... Frederick

have a look at specific shrimp substrates. There are a few forum sponsors with all you need. Check out the sponsor section.

one thing about these shrimp substrates is that they help buffer the water ph and hardness etc. this action has a limit and after a while this buffering action is exhausted, hence they recommend replacing every year or so.... sounds like a faff to me.

i wouldnt worry if your just keeping cherries, i have no plans to change mine out. The same can be said for most substrates but when you see the likes of tom barr using 5 year old amazonia, fire reds and sss grade crs makes you wonder if its necessary.
Maybe the change in parameters as it exhausts is so slow and steady that its not an issue??

Back