• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best fish euthanasia method

Rasbora

Yes, the times that I have used it which thankfully hasn't been very often, it does work well, you just have to make sure you stir the clove oil/water mix very well before adding the fish.
It does smell quite strong, so I put the clove oil in a freezer bag with a little aquarium water stir well, pop in the fish and close the bag, wait for a few mins and check, it's usually very quick.

I usually opt for the brick method, although I have shot a couple with an air rifle. (Shooting them does sound slightly psychotic, but I thought it may be a less stressful death, and it was done purely out of compassion for the fish).

Or chop the head of.

Hard to do to properly to a small fish, and even harder to do to a large fish that you have cared for all it's life and it looks you in the eye while you do it....:arghh:
I'm a bit squeemish, so clove oil overdose works well for me

Reactions: tim
I usually opt for the brick method, although I have shot a couple with an air rifle. (Shooting them does sound slightly psychotic, but I thought it may be a less stressful death, and it was done purely out of compassion for the fish).

That is a joke isnt it?

I pop the fish in a small amount of tank water in a jug or similar. Then mix clove oil & water in a small bottle by vigorous shaking until it emulsifies, then add to jug.

And I hate it every time :(

In a bag of shallow water, then blunt force to the head. Tends to be off the side cistern of the toilet. Very quick, and instantly effective.

Isn't the brick method a little...erm...messy?

So you take out the fish that's already stressed and dying, place it somewhere then shoot it with an air rifle?
In what way is that humane or less stressful.

No I just shot it in the tank...

Seriously though, I just caught it in an ice cream tub, put the tub on the floor outside and shot it. It took seconds, and there's no need to take it out of the water to hit it with a brick.

You shot a 4-5cm fish swimming in a little water and got a clean kill shot to the head?

No I just shot it in the tank...

Seriously though, I just caught it in an ice cream tub, put the tub on the floor outside and shot it. It took seconds, and there's no need to take it out of the water to hit it with a brick.

Just seems very very wrong to me and something that's more entertainment than quickly putting a fish out of its misery.
What made you think of that in the first place??
Im not purposefully trying to have a go or anything ben as im not like that but I found that a little disturbing if im honest and reckon im not the only one. :(

Its like the people who owned racing grey hounds that when theyd stopped being able to run and were getting on, they'd take them out to a field and shoot them instead of putting them to sleep :eek:

Back