• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beginnings of a low tech

jp303

Hi all,

I thought I would start a journal to track the progress of my first planted tank. Reality is that I won't be able to get it going until after New Year but I wanted to start now to get ideas and opinion going as I am inexperienced here.

The details will be updated as I go but here is some basic info:

Aquarium: AquaVogue 135L - 80Wx42Dx50H
Filtration: Ocellaris 850 external filter
Heating: Hydor 200w external heater
Lighting: In-built 44w LED which Aqua One tells me is 50 PAR at 60cm
Co2: None
Hardscape: Bogwood and Granite
Substrate: Dennerle Scapers Soil
Plants:
Bucephalandra motleyana 'Melawi
Bucephalandra 'Wavy Green'
Anubias 'Ducky'
Ludwigia Repens
Bacopa Caroliniana (B. Amplexicaulis)
Rotala Rotundifolia
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
Cryptocoryne Lucens
Microsorum Pteropus Mini 'Petit' Java Fern
Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo'
Vallisneria Spiralis Bunch

Last edited:
Got a nice piece of driftwood, I like the first and second pics, use an ADA Amazonia substrate perhaps, or Fluval Shrimp Stratum, plant some Glosso, HC, Hydrocotyle, small leaved stem plants, perhaps some small Anubias as well, would look good I think.

Got a nice piece of driftwood, I like the first and second pics, use an ADA Amazonia substrate perhaps, or Fluval Shrimp Stratum, plant some Glosso, HC, Hydrocotyle, small leaved stem plants, perhaps some small Anubias as well, would look good I think.

Hi, I have the same issue, I am torn between the first and second photo and can't decide.

Thanks for the other tips, I was tempted by a soil capped with gravel substrate but I am also thinking of moving home next year so thought it would be easier to do with tropica soil or ada amazonia so will likely end up with one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The second picture will look great (it's really a fantastic bit of wood), i'd plant some grasses or more busy plants behind it, then focus on a small foreground carpeting plant. I wouldn't go with H.C though, you'll struggle with it in low tech, unless you're some kind of wizard. 50 Par is also quite a lot at the substrate in my opinion for a low tech tank.

I think I agree, after some thought I am going to go with the second option. I have also just ordered two bags of Dennerle Scapers Soil as I got a good deal.

Still not totally sure on the plants, finding it difficult to decide on what would work and visualise without any experience. The current thoughts are the following:

Back (behind the wood):
Rotala Rotundifolia
Vallisneria nana
Ludwigia Repens

Mid (around the wood):
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Cryptocoryne Lucens
Cryptocoryne Becketii

Wood:
Bucephalandra motleyana 'Melawi'
Bucephalandra 'Wavy Green'
Anubias Nana
Taxiphyllum barbieri

Carpet:
Eleocharis Acicularis

Floating (depending on light intensity):
Phillantus fluiitans

What are your thoughts?

09807ea276f08c4c3a223d9b7d630d16.jpg

Back home now and the soil has arrived. Looking forward to getting this going.

Double good news today. Nitrite has dropped to zero on day 12 after being 5ppm yesterday.

Also the bucephalandra has decide to sprout a bud.

e1624831cc49b0a51fe5c5046b32016b.jpg

Back