• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beginning of nature.

Rodgie

Hi aquascapers!

I have a newbie question. Personally, I haven't cycled a tank with just heavy plants in the beginning and no seeding of bacteria from an old tank.

But, soon I'll set up a new tank and I want to do it the natural way. No rush at all and no addition of Co2. Just completely low tech with some dry ferts. Now, after the tank is set up, new filter is running, and tank is populated with 90 percent plants covering the footprint. I've read here that wait about 4-6 weeks. What do you guys normally look at in your tank, that can tell you it's ready for faunas?

Thank you,
Rodgie

The textbook answer is measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If the former are all but undetectable and nitrate starts to form the bacterial filter is working. You can also dose a little shot of ammonia and see if the filter gets rid of it. Slowly build up your stock, ideally starting with some more robust species so that the bacterial biomass can expand as the ammonia load increases.

For me, I have 24 tanks and all have a abundant cover of floating plants. When I set up a new tank I use about 50:50 RO water and water from an existing tank and then cover about half the surface with floating plants. I then wait 3-7 days and stock the tank with new fish, sometimes a substantial bioload and most often wild caught and somewhat sensitive fish like apistogramma.

Both methods work and there are probably many variations on the theme.

Thank you bart,

I have test kits that I can use to check the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate in the future.

I think I'll do the method of waiting for weeks (4-6) and let the plants grow and populate more and be healthy without algae problems.

I don't have acces to put RO water, this set up will be completely simple.

For those who did this path I'll appreciate any tips on how often and how much did you perform WC in the early stages of set up.

Thank you,
Rodgie

Back