• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bad paint job

Lindy

I painted my new tank stand with a few coats of primer and then 2 coats of b&q one coat satin wood paint. I allowed 24 hrs between the satin coats and gave it a sand before the 2nd one. I've just noticed that the top coat is still soft 24hrs later and I can actually scrape it off with my nail. It's kind of tacky underneath. I'm thinking I'll have to sand the top coat off? Why would this happen? I had the back door open and both kitchen windows. It was quite cool but the heating did come on and off.

top coat as in 2nd coat, not top of unit. It's the whole thing! I hoovered with a brush attachment then used a tack cloth.

Oh right sorry duhhh me. I totally misread that. Is the first coat underneath it totally dry???
In not 100 percent but maybe its to do with the heating coming on and off.
Did it need the second coat??? Might be worth leaving for another day to see if it dries. Did you roller on thinly??

Strange, maybe give it another day to harden although I would have thought it shouldn't take so long.

Last edited:
It was applied with a brush. I don't think I put it on too thickly as it looked bad when spread more and being a one coat they say not too spread too much. I assumed the bottom coat was dry but didn't stick my nail in it, just touched. It said was ok to do a 2nd coat and the 1st coat didn't look good on its own. I'll give it to tomorrow to see if it hardens up. It doesn't look that good, paint looks to have gone on quite uneven and i'm no stranger to painting.

Have just spent over an hr scraping paint off one side. Think maybe fluctuations in temp and perhaos some humidity at night caused problems. It is very slow drying paint and needs 16hrs between coats. Looks a bit shabby chic now...
e3aby9er.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• e3aby9er.jpg
    e3aby9er.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 78
Use a small/mini roller...not a brush for a better finish.
Use the sponge roller not the emulsion roller.
Many thinner coats will give you a better finish using a mini roller
hoggie

Reactions: tim
I'm going to get more paint tomorrow, a thinner paint, not one coat non drip as was so bloody thick. Will also get some mini rollers that I can bin afterwards.

One coat none drip is insanely thick and will need days to properly go off. Thin oil based paint down to a thick milkshake thickness in another tub. Defo use a roller too, better coverage and nice and fine.

Edit: If it's near something really hot (radiator or log burner) than the oil sweats and goes funny. I think this might be your problem as we've had similar experiences with the wood burner at work. Paint, rather than still and hot, needs a medium heat with plenty of air circulation.

Reactions: tim
Sorry to hear this lindy, really annoying having to remove and start again. Hope you achieve the finish you want next time. When I do our next stand it will be done in twin pack paint now for sure.:) I have no patience anymore with gloss oil or water based.

Well thats it all stripped off, and half the skin off my knuckles too:grumpy: Moved it to another room for painting this time. Didn't realise it was one coat non drip, just saw it was the colour I wanted.

Back