• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Background plant options in a nano tank

Hi all,

I'm looking for a red plant that pearls well and would be suitable to create a wall along the back of my 25L aquarium. I really want to add some more colour to the tank because at the moment it only has a carpet of Monte Carlo. So far the only plant I've been looking at is Rotala Macrandra but I was wondering if there are any others you guys can suggest. Due to the slope of the substrate there is only about 10-15cm of height available for the plant to grow in to.

Thanks a lot :)

Rotala sp Macranda Red....would be too large leaf sized wise!
Plus it grows quite tall.....;)

You could have a go at Rotala sp wallichii...or ennie if you can source that plant!
Or even Rotala sp colorata!
There is a smaller Rotala sp Macranda...which I have grown...sourced from a member on the forum!
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/rotala-macrandra-green
Although this isn't as red or vibrate as its big brother!
Has a pinkish colour too the leaves...although this could change as your water parameters would be different!:thumbup:
hoggie

Hi all,

I'm looking for a red plant that pearls well and would be suitable to create a wall along the back of my 25L aquarium. I really want to add some more colour to the tank because at the moment it only has a carpet of Monte Carlo. So far the only plant I've been looking at is Rotala Macrandra but I was wondering if there are any others you guys can suggest. Due to the slope of the substrate there is only about 10-15cm of height available for the plant to grow in to.

Thanks a lot :)
Ludwigia mini super red.
funny how this wasn't suggested im very surprised!

Most seem to be available as tissue culture options now

Rotala ‘Vietnam H’ra’ from Tropica
Hortilab offers several color variants of Rotala & Ludwigia
Didiplis diandra can also go quite red under good light etc conditions

Tropica’s Ludwigia arcuata was one of my favourites, it went a nice deep red even with only moderate light ... I don’t know if anyone other than Hortilab offers it

Aquarium Gardens would likely know about UK availability

Back