• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Back to T5, mistake ?

What is mystifying is the speed in which companys discarded t5 (and t8 for that matter )to get on the LED bandwagon. Arcadia discontinued a lot of their catalogue probably to sell their LED range. Anyone new or back to the hobby can take a look at amazing tanks pre LED to see what can be achieved with t5 t8 and t12.
Considering regular mainstream lighting is also becoming more and more LED focused, perhaps keeping T5 production lines just for aquatic purposes is not viable?

My only concern is that t5 tubes and the rest of fluorescent lights cannot be dimmed so no control of brightness or sunrise/sunset effect. I found those super useful

They can with a Dimmable ballast, they used to be designed with an analogue 0~10 volts dim port... I remember a Dutch company that also designed a computable 0~10 volts controller for it. I believe it was named Flora Mate Dimmer. But it was discontinued because of the upcoming LED popularity... Occasionally you might still find it second hand at eBay.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe there are ways to convert an electronic PWM controller to 0-10 volt analogue output. You have to dive into the Arduino community for this.
Some reefers already tried

I actually wouldn't be surprised if by now a PWM dimmable ballast for T5 already exists. :)
Or

PLC can do this too i bet. @ian_m or @Zeus. ?

Last edited:
Considering regular mainstream lighting is also becoming more and more LED focused, perhaps keeping T5 production lines just for aquatic purposes is not viable?
I think your right commercial considerations are all in their interests .l mean why have an extended range of t5s when the selling points of 50,000 hours of use of a sleek LED unit is easier to sell no matter what the consumer likes. Most of these if not made overseas are probably contracted out to lighted giants like Osram is my guess. Whether true or not I did read aquarium lighting is a tiny percent of Kessil revenues

I think your right commercial considerations are all in their interests .l mean why have an extended range of t5s when the selling points of 50,000 hours of use of a sleek LED unit is easier to sell no matter what the consumer likes. Most of these if not made overseas are probably contracted out to lighted giants like Osram is my guess. Whether true or not I did read aquarium lighting is a tiny percent of Kessil revenues

I don't know about the UK but afaik the incandescent light bulb is already banned in the EU in the shops they are no longer available. Maybe under the counter if you ask... If I want one I have to order them directly from China. The same is about to happen to the mercury gas containing energy-saving tube lights with screw fittings. These are banned from being used in public places if one does break at a kindergarten the panic breaks out too and they are obliged evacuate the entire classroom.

I guess the fluorescent tube lights are also slowly going to be commercially phased out. At the time still, too many office buildings rely on them. Since it is built to last at least 30 years before the entire installation requires overhauling. Then you can imagine the average time frame it will take. 10 years ago fluorescent tubes were still built into public buildings such as offices and colleges etc. To keep all this still supplied with replacement parts the fluorescent tube will at least still be available in the coming 15 to 20 years or so. But it will eventually be phased out... By then the LED likely will be at its peak performance and standardized for all that needs light. :)

That is our issue, Tube lights are done developing and since long manufactured under an ISO/DIN norm and with the LED this yet isn't possible we still don't know where it ends.

Last edited:
Back