• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

BAC 2022

PARAGUAY

Biotopes are becoming really popular whether it's true biotope or a part natural setting based on a natural habitat. In Practical Fishkeeping shows some of the best 2022. Interesting introduction about natural habitat loss due to global warming some recover,some are gone forever . They want as many aquarists as possible to enter 2023 contest in April to get the message out.

Yeh that's it . Looks like biotopes from different continents are in competion with each other. With expert judges with expertise in individual areas.

Don't think you can fail🙂it's
all about helping the planet
They seem to want above all to encourage aquarists to enter to help get it out there that how natural habitats are affected by global warming and hopefully bring about change ,which is no bad thing

Worth thinking about,but needs research imagine you have to be true to the habitat

Yes, and some habitats are easier to find info on than others! I had the idea of a biotope for Oryzias woworae but despite extensive internet searching, I could find only two images of the collection site and many references to the lack of information on plants, both aquatic and terrestrial, of Muna. For Sulawesi in general, it's a bit easier, but as O. woworae is limited to a single lake on an island, it''s pure guesswork as to whether those plants are in that lake!

I have been considering a Dario dario/Limnophila sessiliflora bitope for a while, their ranges overlap and Limnophila sp. are mentioned in some of the collection data for the Dario, but I've yet to find a good site to base the tank on.
I had the idea of a biotope for Oryzias woworae but despite extensive internet searching, I could find only two images of the collection site and many references to the lack of information on plants, both aquatic and terrestrial, of Muna.
I did some digging and O. woworae appears to be a bit more widespread than previously thought, although be careful so you don't confuse it with similar species like O. wolasi. This article (pdf of full text available) might be useful, and provided some more pictures as well. From the IUCN:
Its type locality is a freshwater stream with a canopy cover of around 80% and a substrate of mud and sand with leaf litter. This species was collected from 1-1.5 m depth and was seen schooling with species of halfbeak, Nomorhamphus sp. (Parenti and Hadiaty 2010). The water at Fotuno Oe and Motobano Oe is very clear, however Balano Oe and Waleale River are not as clear.
figure-fig4.png

Picture from Hadiatys species description.

it''s pure guesswork as to whether those plants are in that lake!
No plants mentioned might mean no plants found ;) I would guess that the greenery seen in the photos is more likely some kind of algae. If it where me I would try to recreate something like this, with a sand/clay substrate and various botanicals. If you want to get really fancy you can even have a buried filter outflow, like in this one, to emphasize the spring feel.

That was one of the two images I found - looks beautiful!
This is one of the maps of collection sites I found from this paper - it looks as though O. woworae is definitely limited to Muna
1-s2.0-S1055790317303755-gr1.jpg

This is their tank right now; I'd already built it as a lake edge though the plants are mostly in pots so wouldn't be hard to rescape... Excuse the dog-nose art on the window!
20230103_162755.jpg

it looks as though O. woworae is definitely limited to Muna
Yes, although it's not limited to a single stream at least, so you should have some more leeway. The tank looks really nice, a bit too nice for a biotope maybe. These are a couple of my photos from a small stream in Borneo, which should be fairly similar:
P1150892.JPG P1150911.JPG
As you can see, great conditions for plants; shallow clear water and plenty of sun. The problem is that the monsoon passes this area twice a year, so water levels, flow and sediments will fluctuate a lot preventing plant growth. If you're not dead set on O. woworae (which is the best looking I have to admit), maybe consider O. latipes or pectoralis instead, and that should give you more freedom. Some aquarium examples: Guangdong swamp, Yangmei river, and Taiwan stream, pretty close to what you have already.

Of course it all depends depends on how strict you are about the definition of a biotope (I sit pretty close to the fanatical side, so I would consider importing leeches for a Borneo rainforest biotope for example ;) ), and I'm sure you can make some O. woworae very happy in there as it is.

That's the reason I was looking at O. woworae is that I already have them in there :) all my other tanks are taken up with young Betta!
Really, if I was going to do it I'd want to do it properly and I spent most of last night searching! Almost all the info I can find is on the water bodies on the mainland of Sulawesi, not Muna, especially when it comes to water chemistry... Many of the Sulawesi water bodies are oligotrophic, though I've found little evidence that the ones on Muna are too. The lack of vegetation in the water makes me think they may be though.
I found these images via google earth which help a bit more.
Screenshot 2023-01-04 104713.png
Screenshot 2023-01-04 104600.png

A Dario dario biotope would be great! I looked into it some time ago and came across this site, though I'm sure you've seen it before if you've researched already

That's the reason I was looking at O. woworae is that I already have them in there :) all my other tanks are taken up with young Betta!
Haha, yes then it's an easy choice! That rules out any large sudden changes as well, but you could try to add a blue background maybe (the water on the pictures tend to be either blue- or brownish), as well as some leaf litter (maple breaks down pretty quickly into nice mulm). I'm not sure which exact plants you have in there already, but the one in the back looks like some kind of Hygrophila to me, in which case you can allow it to grow above the waterline to simulate some of the rich riparian growth seen. As for floating plants Azolla species appears to be almost ubiquitous in rice paddies, so should occur in the area at least. The Hadiaty article mentions the pH (6-7), and current (none), so any calm water without extreme parameters should be fine.

I looked into it some time ago and came across this site
Yes his tank looks great, I would really like to have one like that on my desk. Something other than South American Echinodorus and African Cyperus would have been preferred though ;) so I might have to experiment with growing rice instead.

I have been considering a Dario dario/Limnophila sessiliflora bitope for a while, their ranges overlap and Limnophila sp. are mentioned in some of the collection data for the Dario, but I've yet to find a good site to base the tank on.

There's an account on YouTube in which he uploads videos about fish from India, like Dario dario. There's a video here (around 4:50).

I'm sure there's another video somewhere, in which is explained the most common other fish in its habitat is Brachydanio rerio! I'll try to find it.

There's a video here (around 4:50)
The link leads to a video of phractolaemus ansorgii, although that's another fish I've been tempted by for years so I might be better off doing a biotope around them (if I can source some).
I'm sure there's another video somewhere, in which is explained the most common other fish in its habitat is Brachydanio rerio! I'll try to find it.
Yes please do. I rarely visit youtube these days, too much clickbait and multiple exklamation marks for my taste, so any help navigating there would be appreciated.

The link leads to a video of phractolaemus ansorgii, although that's another fish I've been tempted by for years so I might be better off doing a biotope around them (if I can source some).

Yes please do. I rarely visit youtube these days, too much clickbait and multiple exklamation marks for my taste, so any help navigating there would be appreciated.
That's really odd. Anyway, I'll just post the whole link:

I can't seem to find the other video. In the video he would find the D. dario in very shallow water and small schools of B. rerio would occasionally show up and hurry back in more 'deeper' waters. Mind you, the water he was standing in was not deeper than approx. 30 cm.

P. ansorgii were available a little while back. I purchased a group and they are definitely worth building a biotope for! Super fun to watch and not shy at all for me. I think I'd be able to pull them out of the water with my bare hands if I tried.

Back