• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Baby shrimp successfully hatched from a dead female!

basil

Morning,

Thought I'd share this with forum shrimpers.

We found a heavily berried dead female Sakura in one of our tanks. I was about to fish it out and flush it when wifey stopped me and said she wanted to try and save the eggs.

5 mins later the dead shrimp was on the side board and was having the eggs carefully removed.

Once the bulk of the eggs were out, she put them in a small plastic cup with some moss and tank water then floated in the tank they came from. I wasn't over hopeful to say the least, but this morning I was shocked to see 9 perfect baby Sakura in the pot!!

Anyone else enjoyed any success with rearing eggs from a dead shrimp?

Cheers

Mike

Re: Baby shrimp successfully hatched from a dead female!

Fantastic work! Your wife's a genius :)

Yeah, that's where she got the idea from I think. There were about the same number of eggs again that did not hatch, so roughly 50% survival rate. But still more than happy with that :)

Re: Baby shrimp successfully hatched from a dead female!

Reminds me of the time when I thought my shrimp were gang banging a pregnant female, but on closer inspection they were eating the eggs.

Back