• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Auto Siphon

Anyone made one of these? It’s a screen grab from a YouTube Video. You just lower it into the water and the siphon starts by itself.

IMG_6879.jpeg

Hi all,
Anyone made one of these?
They used to make these in one of our post-graduate courses (<"Physics SKE">?). They may still do it as exercise, but we don't have the course any more.
...... A siphon “pulls” water out of a container because of a difference in pressure between the two open ends of the tube. The pressure (Ph) at a given depth below the surface of a liquid is equal to the atmospheric pressure at the surface of the water plus the pressure exerted by the liquid, which is proportional to the depth beneath the surface (ρgh).

Equation 1. Ph = Po + ρgh

Ph = Pressure at a given depth below the surface of a liquid
Po = Atmospheric pressure at the surface of the liquid
ρ = Density of the liquid
g = Acceleration due to gravity constant
h = Depth beneath the surface of the liquid
I think it needs to be a fairly narrow bore tube to get the capillary effect, so not really useful for syphoning the tank etc.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Those that suck on syphons are definitely just doing it for fun, lots of ways to start it that don't involve drinking the water!

I usually just hold the end of the syphon loosely against the filter outflow - let the tube fill and start emptying into the bucket and the syphon will keep going when you move it away... then I turn off the filter as usual.

Or you can put the hose in the water let it fill so no air bubbles, put you thumb over one end and place that end in your bucket (keeping the other end in the tank) and when you take your thumb off the syphon will start.

Or get one with a syphon tube on the end, most have a valve in that will start it if you shake it up and down in the water.

Back